Sign in to follow this  
m325i

Is it stolen?

I am looking to buy a car.

I'm looking to purchase the car off a very keen seller for a sharp price.

How do i make sure the car is legit?

Auto check said call Land Transport, (They were closed).

If i give them VIN/Chasis number is that all you can do? Can I get any verification?

I need to move quickly, so all i want to know is that im buying a legitamate vehicle.

Thanks

Edited by m325i

give the vendor a personal cheque as a holding deposit,made out to the vendor (not cash!) tell them you will bring the balance in cash,when you pick the car up. This will buy you three or so days to check it out, which is plenty.VIN and rego obviously need to match, colour of car is on rego details, check to see it is not a respray,or VIN tag hasn't been "cut and shut", check engine numbers against VIN, ask to see ownership papers, check address of owner etc. If they don't accept this, walk!

Edited by conrod

You can get a VIR (Vehicle Information Report) over the interweb here.

It's $25.

Its a VR4** that is registered as the non turbo model. It is a 2000 and has a 12 month WOF. Im yet to get VIN number.

(**its not really, changed name of car, but same principal).

Its cheap and sounds too good to be true, but you have to be in to win.

if it's a factory turbo model of a vehicle that's not registered as being that, then be careful.

as you stated, could be stolen, plates and tags swapped over, doneski.

just go over it with a fine tooth comb, check the chassis number, and that it matches the chassis tag and the VIR, check that the chassis number stamped in the firewall doenst look like it's had any disturbance aorund it (commonplace is to cut this section out of another car, weld it in etc, if yo get what i mean

ch0

Its cheap and sounds too good to be true

It certainly does, it also sounds VERY dodgy! Especially given that it is cheap! Is the vendor trying to hurry you into paying for it ( "I have two other people who are very keen to buy"..... etc etc.) Does the vendor check out? Plenty of stolen WRX's/Evo's looking for a new home. Listen to the alarm bells, they are there to warn you! Edited by conrod

not to mention if you do get it and insure it and crash it..payout for non turbo will be small compared to a turbo i imagine...

Guest Andrew

a VIR won't tell you if its stolen unless you actually have the car in front of you and can compare it with all its details.

If its an import get the rice papers and you'll tell straight away whether if its dodge.

Thanks guys.

I think it has had the plate chopped out of another car.

You could probably get away with it, but i'm not particulary keen on a non legit vehicle. Or keen on getting in trouble for receiving.

Man boost is cool though.

Too good to be true = usually is. I was hoping this wasn't 'usually'.

If you know a friendly car dealer [They're all friendly] They can check out the details for you.[in exchange for some liquid currency]

VR4's fell victim to NZ's frontal impact rules [same with early E36's] so there are a lot of re-tagged ones around, also when people owe moneyon a car they re-tag them to sell them. I have legitimately re-bodied a damaged race-car [it does go on], But listen to yourself The cheap Price is the warning, Trust your Instincts!!

IF YOU PAY TOO MUCH, YOU LOSE A LITTLE! IF YOU PAY TO LITTLE, YOU MAY LOSE THE LOT!!