Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

ZF trans??

Just climbed under my 1989 320i 5spd to check my type of gearbox I have in preparation for swap this m50b25 in and I see it's a ZF S5-16 not the getrag 240 that I keep reading about. WIll this transmission housing still work with my m50 ? I'm planning on using my m20 fllywheel and starter and new 325i clutch kit. I would have thought if it's bolted to my m20b20 then it would bolt up to my m50b25 (and yes I will be making a custom rear mount to sort the angle of the gearbox out).

Thanks

Mrhamwallet

Edited by MrHamWallet

Why would you need a custom rear mount? Both the M50 & M20 are on the same angle [it looks different on the M50 because of the 24valve head] In fact the crank can be swapped over in stroker situations [check out Bimmersport forums HaHa!!] I have physically swapped over a gearbox from a M20 to a M50 they do bolt up. Use the M20 flywheel It's lighter [they are all internally balanced]that way you can also get rid of the bullshit dual-mass M50 flywheel [unless smoothness & driving like a Nana is your cup of tea]

Just a note to others reading this [because I've asked this Question myself and got "Don't know" as a reply]I took my M50 backing plate & bolted it up to a M40 engine [the M10 is different]

The Ratios in the S5-16 are 1st: 3.50, 2nd: 2.01, 3rd: 1.34, 4th: 1.00, 5th: 0.82

usually with a 3.86 diff [uS spec]

The Ratios in the E36 M3 [and the 325/328] ZF box are 1st: 4.210, 2nd: 2.49, 3rd: 1.66, 4th: 1.24, 5th: 1.00 usually with a 3.15 diff [uS spec]

If you do your maths and multiplied the gear ratio's by the diff ratio's you would find the overall ratio's almost identical [by using the S5-16 box in a manual conversion, you should still be able to use the auto diff]

Why would you need a custom rear mount? Both the M50 & M20 are on the same angle [it looks different on the M50 because of the 24valve head] In fact the crank can be swapped over in stroker situations [check out Bimmersport forums HaHa!!] I have physically swapped over a gearbox from a M20 to a M50 they do bolt up. Use the M20 flywheel It's lighter [they are all internally balanced]that way you can also get rid of the bullshit dual-mass M50 flywheel [unless smoothness & driving like a Nana is your cup of tea]

Just a note to others reading this [because I've asked this Question myself and got "Don't know" as a reply]I took my M50 backing plate & bolted it up to a M40 engine [the M10 is different]

The Ratios in the S5-16 are 1st: 3.50, 2nd: 2.01, 3rd: 1.34, 4th: 1.00, 5th: 0.82

usually with a 3.86 diff [uS spec]

The Ratios in the E36 M3 [and the 325/328] ZF box are 1st: 4.210, 2nd: 2.49, 3rd: 1.66, 4th: 1.24, 5th: 1.00 usually with a 3.15 diff [uS spec]

If you do your maths and multiplied the gear ratio's by the diff ratio's you would find the overall ratio's almost identical [by using the S5-16 box in a manual conversion, you should still be able to use the auto diff]

:lol:

Bad!Cheers for the info.

Sounds like I just need to get into this swap and cross bridges as i come to them.

Bad!Cheers for the info.

please use correct grammer

its "badass" not 'bad' when using it in this manner.

Just had a quick thump on the calculator. Those numbers look very good.

i got a getrag 260 if you want one.. thanks

Where were you when I was looking for a 260 box for my 2.5 conversion. Would have been so much easier than cutting the sensor holes out of the auto and welding them into my 240 bellhousing.

Oh wait, I still haven't done this yet. How much you want for the 260 box. I take it, it has the sensor holes that are required for the TDC and Engine speed sensors.

Hey Mate , Use a ZF if you can get one [they're stronger] E36 M3's in euro spec had over 300 horseys [the boxes a quite similar]

The Torque rating varies with the gear reduction [borg Warner WC-T5's rate the wide ratio less than the close ratio]

To all those swapping engines and boxes in 1991 the E34 manual used the same box & had an M20 & a M50 engine during the same year [so they interchange]

I cant confirm this but I thought a getrag had the sensor bosses cast on all boxes

[All you have to do is drill & tap them]

If anybody needs rear g/box mounts? I have a mate in Aussie Who can send some repro's over [NZ $42.00 a set landed] every second hand set I see are f**ked

Where were you when I was looking for a 260 box for my 2.5 conversion. Would have been so much easier than cutting the sensor holes out of the auto and welding them into my 240 bellhousing.

Oh wait, I still haven't done this yet. How much you want for the 260 box. I take it, it has the sensor holes that are required for the TDC and Engine speed sensors.

wil let you know think its sold in chch cheers dude, ive only just decided to get rid of it

My info sources [uSTCC homologation sheet] quote the E36 325/328/M3 as all having a ZF #23.00.1.434.485

ratios as listed ;1st 4.21 2nd 2.49 3rd 1.66 4th 1.24 5th 1.00

the E36 318 has a getrag box #220.0.0225.96

ratios as listed ;1st 4.23 2nd 2.52 3rd 1.66 4th 1.22 5th 1.00

1st, & 2nd are slightly lower ean 4th is slightly higher