Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

cheap LSD's

How much are you prepared to pay?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So ... you don't want to dish out a grand for the whole limited slipness of an lsd but you so do want that limited slipness.

the question is: if not a grand, then how much would you part with?

NB (ignore the fact that you have to do the swap, or pay someone to do it)

I can't say i had too many people super super keen to buy mine when i had it on trademe...didnt go above $600...people whinge about not being able to buy one but when its there they don't go ahead and do it

why you asking ollie? torsen diffs? bear in mind the clutch pack ones Do wear out, so 2nd diffs from another country is not always the best idea, seeing as to rebuild you need to get custom clutch disks

but cheap LSDs would be good...3-400 $ mark sounds reasonable

I can't say i had too many people super super keen to buy mine when i had it on trademe...didnt go above $600...people whinge about not being able to buy one but when its there they don't go ahead and do it

yeah they want one when there are none and when it comes time to part with the money they are like oh hmmm nah i'm broke. i've done it myself.

why you asking ollie? torsen diffs? bear in mind the clutch pack ones Do wear out, so 2nd diffs from another country is not always the best idea, seeing as to rebuild you need to get custom clutch disks

based on a similar principle as a clutch pack, but in essence very different

a custom made insert to turn an open diff into an lsd.

some of you may have heard of phantom grip? if not visit www.phantomgrip.com.

i am making a custom version based on the principle of one of these, and will be testing it in my car soon. have got one in and old rwd toyota carolla at the moment and it's freakin awesome.

I will be able to supply alot of LSD's diffs soon for approx $600 most with under 200km's on them,This price will be only for bimmersport members.send pm's if interested,cheers

Hey I just looked at the phantomgrip website + the site showing it's install, my advice is to stay well clear of sh*t like that [it belongs in the bin,along with the fuelmisers & polarizers] All it does is preloads the side gears against the casing [using metal-to-metal contact under high load] to control slip.Ask yourself what happens when you get metal-to-metal contact on your crankshaft? the diff isn't any different. The gears will eventually weld themselves to the casing [if they are loaded properly]save yourself $300.00 & weld your spiders now. or better still spend some more $$$ and get a real slipper.

Hey I just looked at the phantomgrip website + the site showing it's install, my advice is to stay well clear of sh*t like that [it belongs in the bin,along with the fuelmisers & polarizers] All it does is preloads the side gears against the casing [using metal-to-metal contact under high load] to control slip.Ask yourself what happens when you get metal-to-metal contact on your crankshaft? the diff isn't any different. The gears will eventually weld themselves to the casing [if they are loaded properly]save yourself $300.00 & weld your spiders now. or better still spend some more $$$ and get a real slipper.

I looked at the website too, and couldn't see how it worked. But what you say makes sense, about preloading the side gears. And I am inclined to agree, it is a sh*t idea.Spend the $$$ and buy a proper LSD. Edited by conrod

What the pre-65 boys do [because slippers/locked diffs are prohibited]is pre load the crap out of the side gears so there is so much binding-up [word chosen carefully]that the diff acts like a slipper, for one meeting at least .dial in "R200 Phantomgrip Install" on google, you'll get a better idea of what these dreamers are trying to acheive.

looks interesting

who cares if it buggers the diff? not like new ones are expensive...would be interesting to see someone give it a go

You can be that someone if you don't care! Do your maths, Open diff approx $200.00 +Phantomgrip US$300.00[$460.00 NZ] plus shipping & GST. Sounds like a Bargain,Try it [let us know how it works?]

Sweet Gus I'll buy yours for that for my m50 project......

You can be that someone if you don't care! Do your maths, Open diff approx $200.00 +Phantomgrip US$300.00[$460.00 NZ] plus shipping & GST. Sounds like a Bargain,Try it [let us know how it works?]

they don't make phantom grips to fit e30 diffs, was going to make another one and test it.

what you say about pre loading the diff is true but like gus said i'm going to give it a go anyway because i can easily get a replacement open diff. i'll be trying different spring rates and stuff to see if i can get a balance between performance and durability.

i don't believe that the spiders will weld themselves to the diff casing i do believe there will be an amount of wear on the inside of the spiders but since when does a stock e30 put out enough horses to put that much strain on the diff.

Hey Ollie, I've seen them weld themselves together [usually during a burnout,as I found out in a V8 valiant] the spider gears destroyed themselves but the side gears were welded enough to drive home.

remember a diff carrier drives from the pin & spiders thru to the side gears.When you pre load the side gears it results in too much slop in the spiders [the diff clunks in on-off driving,it can break the drive pin]

It's worth a go Ollie!!

Good to see some initiative.

I recall reading an article on the phantom grip installed on a Sentra SE-R (US thing), had some graphs showing measured wheel slip Left Vs Right, I think they also tore the diff down after 10,000km and there was little to no wear.

As said earlier, a replacement open diff is cheap, I think Brent sells them for $80, someone can have my old one if they blow theirs with one of Ollie's gizmo's.

Better than spending $600 on a BMW LSD that needs a rebuild!!

Guest Andrew

Screw LSD - i'm locking the diff in the race car - I'm sick of diffs wearing out.

Screw LSD - i'm locking the diff in the race car - I'm sick of diffs wearing out.

nasty westie mods!!!

Have fun trying to get it to handle nicely!!

Give one of these phantom thingy's a go will handle better than with a locker!?!?!

Good One Andrew, All SCCA ITE cars, TRANSAM cars, V8 SUPERCARS, NZ V8's run a spool. I had a Mk1 lotus race car with a locked rear end [set up right you cant tell the difference,except for drive off the corners]

There is 2 ways to set up a locked rear for racing;

1; stiffen up the roll resistance in the rear [stiffer springs or add stiffer rear sway bar]to help "unload" the inside wheel on corners. This method works well for low to medium horsepower cars & slower corners.

2; On high powered cars,where you need a soft rear to drive out of the corners,They usually stiffen the rebound [extension] of the shocks & slightly soften the Jounce [bump] . When you turn a car into a corner the inside shock with more resistance "unloads" the inside wheel helping the car corner.When the car accelerates off the corner, the soft rear spings [& soft shocks] help the car squat down & get traction.

Method number 2 doesn't work as well on slow [hairpin] corners.

Apart from the "Detroit Locker"[Fords crude mechanical ratchet locker] the locked rear end is one of the best set ups for racing

hey there dose any one know how much horsepower could u throw at a e30 Lsd?

A friend of mine is running an E30 medium cased LSD in his 500hp 2002 Turbo, he does circuit racing and Tarmac rallies with this car. In the 10 years or so since the car has been built he has never had a diff problem. So there is a good yardstick!