Sign in to follow this  
Deffed

N62b48 intermediate lever arms

Hello everyone,iv recently acquired a 650i with valvetronic issues namely intermediate lever arms. There 5 different versions 1-5 with very fine tolerances in lift and duration on each one. From what iv discovered, some are discontinued and there are some forms that say the 5 have been replaced with updated versions. If anyone can provide any updated information would greatly appreciated. 

Regard Reno.👍

On 8/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, Deffed said:

Hello everyone,iv recently acquired a 650i with valvetronic issues namely intermediate lever arms. There 5 different versions 1-5 with very fine tolerances in lift and duration on each one. From what iv discovered, some are discontinued and there are some forms that say the 5 have been replaced with updated versions. If anyone can provide any updated information would greatly appreciated. 

Regard Reno.👍

You will have to speak to a parts guy at a dealership. I looked the levers up in ETK and it says to refer to a Puma measure for the correct levers. Only dealers have access to this.

1 hour ago, F10er said:

You will have to speak to a parts guy at a dealership. I looked the levers up in ETK and it says to refer to a Puma measure for the correct levers. Only dealers have access to this.

Thanks for you message,unfortunately my local bmw dealership team or at least the 2 people iv been dealing with had no idea what i was talking about so i had to go in and point the part out on cylinder head schematic drawing. 🤔😳

4 hours ago, Deffed said:

Thanks for you message,unfortunately my local bmw dealership team or at least the 2 people iv been dealing with had no idea what i was talking about so i had to go in and point the part out on cylinder head schematic drawing. 🤔😳

Sounds about right for a dealership........bloody hopeless. Maybe ask to speak to the Parts Manager or a Master parts advisor. They would have more experience.........you would think/hope.

The Puma number is in the photo below. Ask them to look that measure number up.

Edited by F10er

52 minutes ago, F10er said:

Sounds about right for a dealership........bloody hopeless. Maybe ask to speak to the Parts Manager or a Master parts advisor. They would have more experience.........you would think/hope.

The Puma number is in the photo below. Ask them to look that measure number up.

Iv just got the bridge off the head that holds the cam,eccentric shaft and lever arms,the spring has slipped out of the guide on the lever arm,it crazy that part way through the spring completely leves the guide and expected to go back in the same spot,the springs are not retained in any way and the lever arm is only retained by the spring.

20210824_171333.heic 20210824_170753.heic

49 minutes ago, Lubed said:

What is the fault with the intermediate levers/valvetronic?

I brought it not running,report said no compression cylinder 3,further inspection broken intermediate lever arm. Recommendation complete engine replacement. I done some research found out from mid 04 till day 345 04 company that makes the arm ran a dodge batch. I was progressing on getting the components out and noticed 3 out of position,had to remove the bridge to see it had just slipped out,workshop mustn't checked properly. Futher inspection lever arms made after the dodge batch but are quite warn,some wear in cam possible oil starve at some point.

Heres a wee clip,first part is under side of valvetronic bridge cylinder 2&3 lever arms out,lots of literal movement on large bearing that one runs agains main cam also wear on cam,the tube thing at the top of shot is oil feed tiny wee holes that are ment to oil the cam lobes,second part is the head from m60b40 n62 grandad out of 93 e32 it has less ks on it than the n62 but every thing is just grunty,massive lobes,the flat plate above is the oil supply it pushes oil down the side of the studs in to bearing cap.blabla.

Edited by Deffed
Forgot to include media.

What parts are worn as the pictures look good enough for the engine to run. Are any components broken? I wonder if the initial diagnosis carried out by the workshop was incorrect and its worth reassembling the engine then start a fresh diagnosis.

Gday mate, chers for feedback. Was thinking about just putting it back together and seeing what happens. Lots of things iv red,read, looked at say that the lever arm are a precision bit of kit,with the lateral movement and the scoring on the cam and rollers just wondering how precise they are,manufactur date is 05year 262day and there that kind of colour that says very hot. I need to look into the oil supply im pritty sure they in creased the size 1/4 inch or 6mm. The holes that squirt oil in it are tiny. 

Keep in mind that if you increase the oil hole diameter in the rail it will reduce lubrication to other engine components.

There at the end of the line the 2 tubes are blanked at the end+i think the larger suppliy line is a factory item add to later n62 and the newer engines.

Yea mate thats what im looking for theres a few leads il follow them up and get back.cheers.👍

Ah yea! Also dropped one of the nuts that holds the valvetronic bridge... went down big hole,oil drain hole straight to catch tray/sump. Ooops

50 minutes ago, Deffed said:

Yea mate thats what im looking for theres a few leads il follow them up and get back.cheers.👍

Doesnt seem too complex, if your current levers have 3 stamped on them use the part numbers for either A or B, if its got 1 or 2 on it use A, or if it has 4, 5 or 6 use B. Both A and B part numbers from RealOEM are showing as available overseas (using the vin from my old 650i, which is likely the same parts but check first). Replacing just one lever is forbidden, it must be done as a kit.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 11.20.50 PM.png