Sign in to follow this  
cleanish_e46

Lower Timing Chain Cover Removal

M20B20 - I need some guidance please.

1047E082-D134-45C4-B44D-DBCCC3B64F0A.thumb.jpeg.ba8fdb4fa9344b7aff91d8246837a278.jpeg

I have removed all the bolts and the cover is loose, do I have to remove the crank bolt to remove the cover? 

If so, how do I do this? 

Thanks in advance!

Josh 

Yes.  Depends what tools you have. If you dont have a big impact or crank bolt tools then you probably looking a breaker bar against the chassis rail and flicking the starter. You'd want a decent quality bar though. 

Also may need a harmonic puller or hub puller or such to pull that crank sprocket off

• Like 1

I’ve seen the breaker bar against the chassis rail and starter motor flick method, but everything is off now, all wiring and starter! 

I don’t have crank bolt tools or an impact that’ll do it unfortunately, what would you recommend @Eagle I’ll have a look at acquiring some!

I’m rebuilding the head, haven’t decided how far I’m going with the block yet, wanted to give it a good clean and maybe paint, but the further I get into it the more I want to go through everything. If I take it out, will it be easier to get that bolt off? I guess I could take it somewhere with the means to do the job at least! 

You can still power the starter via jumper leads and screwdriver. Depends on if\how much you want to spend money on tools. You can probably get the proper M20 etc crankshaft holder tool for $100 odd, universal tool or have a holder made up locally. I use something like this on occasion which works both directions with a decent hammer https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/building-renovation/tools/hand-tools/spanners-wrenches/listing/3247453155?gclid=CjwKCAjwvuGJBhB1EiwACU1AiX5jMefTME-xzAnnAZL5uBqfo3kVJLgOsP9n7HVFEDJt9P9Jks2lxBoC7PUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Otherwise plenty of other ways involving jamming\holding flywheel, rope in cylinders, ratcheting crank pulley etc. If the motor is out then it there's is even more ways but you can probably just lift it up and take it to someone at that point as you say.

You only need to remove the cover to do the seal or if you going strip\clean\rebuild. Guess you will have to decide that.

@Eagle I managed to get the crank bolt off with the old screwdriver on the starter trick and a power bar against some timber.

I’m going to clean the block and do the seal at the very least. 

I’ve ordered the Bentley manual for the E30, but while I’m waiting on that, how do I remove the other bits holding the lower timing chain cover on? I’m unsure if it’s one piece or separate.

C1F7A54C-AB17-41DC-A9DC-23642DCB7360.thumb.jpeg.1f90c8125220fce3b804b9a373a85122.jpeg

Edited by cleanish_e46

Should come off as one piece iirc. You'll need some sort of puller to pull it off the crank (as mentioned in earlier post) with few applicable bolts to go in the pulley threads.