Sign in to follow this  
jon dee

Oii... what's this bolt for on the N54 ??

Anyone know what the bolt circled in the attached pic (thoughtfully provided by Pelican Parts) is actually for ? Is it just a plug for an unused tapping into the oil circuit (which is what it looks like) ? And if it is, has anyone used it for fitting an oil pressure sensor ? If possible, I prefer not to disturb a bone dry plug to check :) 

Cheers...

pic06.jpg

Holds the oil filter housing on :) 

At least on N52 its not wet (with the factory oil cooler). Im pretty sure they're the same on all N5x's though, as the housing and oil coolers are all interchangeable.

Absolutely correct... top marks that man :)  In fact I now see that had I scrolled down one more pic on the Pelican Parts DIY oil filter housing DIY, I would have seen this pic pointing out the bolts that hold the housing on. Good example of tunnel vision when looking for something.... but in my defense, it did look like it went into the oil gallery for the oil pressure switch. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Cheers...

pic05.jpg

Im sure someone's put in a secondary tap to get pressure before, it might be possible to Y off the oil pressure switch and put a second one in there?

Yup... that was plan A and I have an adapter to fit between the housing and the pressure switch. If that bolt had been a pressure tapping it would have been a cleaner option for running a hose from there to a sensor mounted remotely on the inner guard. Non-urgent project for later. External PCV and catchcan is next up :)

Cheers...