Sign in to follow this  
detroit

Can you help me identify if Getrag 240 is for an M20?

Hey all,

I've been trying to identify this Getrag 240 for some time as I continue to stack parts for my e30 manual swap. I've done some reading on the e30zone wiki and I saw this:

"However, don't let parts sellers convince you that the boxes are identical. Getrag gearboxes can be identified by looking for the serial number stamped around the edge of the bell housing. This number should also contain letters, which will identify the following boxes:

Getrag 240 - MN and BMV (M10 carbureted models), BMO, TBCU and BCX (M40 cars and some 318iS)
Getrag 240 - BCO, BCP and BCT - 318iS and E34 518i (pre 1992 overdrive). These boxes are the longer units with the shorter prop.
Getrag 240 - BMS, MB and BMT - 320i models."

However, none of these ID my Getrag 240, mine says "144023 AMA" on the bellhousing, and that's the only part number that contains both numbers and letters. (Here's a photo of it).

I've heard that the mounting points are different, which makes sense but as I don't know what the others look like, I can't tell if this is an M20 one, if you can please do and if you're open to it, please share how you know or how I/others in the future can know (can we measure the distance between two bolt holes? etc.) Here is a photo of it

Lastly, not title related but if anyone knows of a manual swap guide that deals with Jetronic e30s, please send that my way too,  I haven't seen one titled accordingly, but I'd love to see one as there's been a few differences with past maintenance work I've done. 

I'd appreciate any help you can provide!

140mm between top holes means its a m20 or m40  (120mm is m10 and m30 size)

but m40 and m20 leanover at different angles you got better pics ? ,side view 

part number on ali shifter part 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

140mm between top holes means its a m20 or m40  (120mm is m10 and m30 size)

This seems to be the case with mine, so it's at least a m20 or m40 one!

I'll get better photos when the weather is ok, It's rainy and I don't have enough room in the garage to take photos atm.

Appreciate the info so far.

m20 early type old shifter mech 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

m20 early type old shifter mech 

Appreciate your help Brent, thank you!

Also, It appears to me that this trans is missing the crank sensors meaning it's a FL/Later Motronic only trans (although I haven't seen any photos of a g240 with those sensors either, only g260s) I have a Jetronic e30, so I'm guessing that this is going to cause me some issues because according to e30zone's wiki, Jetronic e30s use the trans mounted crank position sensors, unlike later Motronic e30s.

But since I've never done a manual swap and I can't seem to find much info on Jetronic e30s, I'm curious if you have any info on this or can confirm/deny my thoughts.

Also, I'll be contacting you soon about getting a few parts from you, is FB or here better for you?

g240 is from a 320i , they used l-jetronic , so no crank sensor mounts/holes on bellhousing 

only 1985/1987 325i used that type but was a g 260 box , 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

g240 is from a 320i , they used l-jetronic , so no crank sensor mounts/holes on bellhousing 

only 1985/1987 325i used that type but was a g 260 box , 

You're a wealth of Knowledge, thank you so much Brent.