Sign in to follow this  
weefry

Sell old BMW for parts?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is off topic... I have an 1996 528i that I want to sell and I need some advice - should I try and sell it for parts to a wrecker or is there a chance someone out there might want to buy it as is?

I have no idea on how to value it (for parts or intact), it's done approx 170k and the only mechanical issue is with accelerating (it does it, but might take a few seconds....) There are also various cosmetic issues (wear and tear - some damaged internal trim, broken cup holders, sagging ceiling upholstery, dashboard screen doesn't work, leather cracked/damaged etc etc ) - but it's registered and warranted till March... 

A random online tool said it's worth $4500 (yeah, right!)

Any advice on a decent parts place to approach in Wellington/Wairarapa or a good place to advertise it for sale (TradeMe I assume?) appreciated,

Cheers

Edited by weefry
  • Like 1

Only value in it is the engine really so would be <$1000. You probably couldn't give away the rest of the parts.

Id just low reserve it on trademe or maybe BMW facebook groups if you use it. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, weefry said:

Apologies if this is off topic... I have an 1996 528i that I want to sell and I need some advice - should I try and sell it for parts to a wrecker or is there a chance someone out there might want to buy it as is?

Most $$$ = strip it and sell parts yourself = most effort / hassle

Middle $$$ = sell complete on BMW groups = some hassle

Lowest $$$ = sell to wrecker, they want to make a buck and are taking a risk = least effort for you.

No idea what it’s worth sorry, either as a whole or in bits, I’m not across 528i market.

• Like 1