Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Classic read

An elderly man riding on his mobility scooter was oblivious that fear for his welfare sparked a street scuffle in Paraparaumu resulting in six arrests.

Acting Detective Sergeant Ross McKay said a bizarre string of events was set off by two boys, aged 12 and 14, drinking outside a Kapiti Rd flat and harassing the scooter rider as he passed on Tuesday afternoon.

One of the boys removed the man's walking stick from his basket and dropped it on the ground and the other boy picked it up and put it back. Mr McKay said the man – who later described the boys as "cheeky" – rode away unperturbed but three women driving past, who saw the incident and recognised the man on the scooter, decided to reprimand the boys.

Two of the women, aged in their 20s, got out of the car and told the boys off for hassling an older man, demanded they apologise and confiscated a bottle of alcohol.

The boys verbally abused them and one boy reported the incident to other partygoers, Mr McKay said. One of his older brothers, who was drunk, kicked the women's car and hurled abuse at them. Then three young drunk women from the party joined the fray, punching one woman in the face and slamming the open car door against the other.

A middle-aged man saw the commotion and rushed to defend the women. He grabbed the older brother, which prompted three other male partygoers to attack him. All three went crashing through a nearby fence.

About 20 police and ambulance officers arrived at the same time as one of the young women believed to have been involved in the attack punched a young man because she believed he had stolen her cigarettes, Mr McKay said.

All the while the elderly man continued on his way, unaware of the bedlam in his wake.

One of the women who reprimanded the boys suffered bruising, the other mouth injuries. The man who came to their rescue needed stitches for cuts on his head.

Three men, aged 21, 20 and 18, and three women aged 25, 18 and 16, will appear in Porirua District Court and Youth Court on assault charges next week.

What happened to the under ages? I hope the cops got there stomach pumped.

All under ages should get their stomach pumped to teach them they not allowed to do that. Did it mention what colour they were?

I just find it digusting that someone would steal a girls ciggies, what has soceity come to?

Edited by Carl

f*ck I can't believe people these days, what sort of older brother would let his 12 year old brother get drunk.. i mean... wtf

People have no respect these days. It f*cking sucks.

i love it.

id be the guy that stole the ciggies... cept the chick that punched me would be at her own funeral.