Sign in to follow this  
elias

Guard rolling

Hello,

Anyone on here ever rolled guards on a e82? Need to make more room in the back guards, ideally roll the lip completely flat, parallel to the guard. Ive been to a few places, auto stance, MTS etc and none of them really want to do it. Was thinking of doing it myself but thought id ask if anyone had any experience with it first?

Any advice appreciated,

cheers 

It nearly always ends up not being perfect.  Which will be why the pro's don't do it.

A few of my old Nissans ended up having ripply guards when I went a bit to far.  Good results took hours per guard and often burnt fingers from the heat gun.

Most rollers you can buy are designed to only roll the edge up a little.  Not flat.  Flat requires panel beating and will nearly always crack the paint.
You must have a good heat gun and roll in very small increments.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/repair-kits/listing/3575928793?bof=c6jO98Ug

Recently I became old and look back at these sort of issues and just nope out and buy something that fits.  :D

• Like 2

Right fair enough I appreciate the reply, yeah dont want ripply guards but definitely need some more room, might just give it a go and see how far I can roll them without it being noticeable from the outside, and then if need be I can always go down a tire size and it should be ok. Ive got a heatgun, ill see if anyone has a guard roller I can borrow, otherwise ill buy one.

Ideally id buy wheels that fit perfectly too, but a square setup with 245 tires on a 135i is quite hard to find, especially with aftermarket suspension, at the current offset I just clear the strut by a couple of millimetres so any more offset wouldn't work.