Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Importing BMW's

So your thinking about importing a BMW

I know a lot of people are interested every now in then about finding out information on importing BMW's. Its not only a way to find what you want, but get it at a more reasonably price than in NZ.

What do you need to consider

I've found some useful information that will help familiarise anyone with any doubts over what they can and cant import that is specifically related to BMW with regard to the frontal impact rules.

Frontal Impact Guidelines 648kb PDF file (can use with Adobe Acrobat)

While considering the idea of importing an E30 M3 I found out that there are general rules that apply but none of which I've heard first hand from LTSA or anyone of authority. These include

- You must own the vehicle 90 days overseas before date of importing.

- The car must be over 20 years of age

- You cannot import an E30 M3 wait till its 20 years old, you must then export it then re-import it keeping in mind the same regulations apply (90days).

there are others that I cant think about right now, but I think it would be a good idea to make a thread along these lines and sticky it up so people can see if it they're thinking about going along those lines in the future.

Just an idea.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by E30stz

LTSA website has information on all of this. the 90 day owning and operating rule doesn't apply in some cases (forgotten what they were of the top of my head). But you are required to own the car for 5 years in NZ and use it for private use only.

Guest Andrew

Avoid anything under grade 5 like the plague. Watch what cities the cars come from as well.

Avoid anything under grade 5 like the plague. Watch what cities the cars come from as well.

Erm, out of interest, cars from which cities should be avoided?

I am waiting for E34 3.8 m5s or even a 540 LE from Aussie B)

I am waiting for E34 3.8 m5s or even a 540 LE from Aussie B)

theres a 540LE, daytona violet for sale on eurocca.net in aus. Love that colour.

yes,seen that,they are expensive over there tho.....the asking price is often 30,000 to begin with

ugh its white......I dont know why but i hate white E34's.Strangely tho white is very common for M5's,here anyway.

For the sticky

Couple of UK websites to find cars , also good to compare with NZ values to see if it's worth while. Despite some peoples view of UK salting roads in the winter many fine examples can be found without rust. If cars are coming out of the cities such as London many of the cars will have parking dents and dings. Service history a must , garaged car more ideal. Make sure the car is HPI clear , Cat D means accident repaired.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk

http://www.autotrader.co.uk

http://www.birdsauto.com/ ( Aftermarket tuned)

Edited by Neal

Erm, out of interest, cars from which cities should be avoided?

Avoid Singapore.

Even though thats not a city, its an entire country.

Just avoid Singapore.

Avoid Singapore.

Just avoid Singapore.

werd..

From my previous BMW, burn man talking :)

Avoid Singapore.

Just avoid Singapore.

From what I've seen you'll also find some of the cleanest and most looked after cars compared to most large cities in the World, BMW's are a very expensive car in Singa's they possibly pay the highest BMW prices in the world, If it's been garaged at home and work (very likely) , you probably won't find better. Mind you , you may need to run one in , it's most likey never been over 80kmh in it's life.

its not the exterior condition people are worried about with the singaporean imports, its the engine and electrics. The heat extremes cause havoc.

its not the exterior condition people are worried about with the singaporean imports, its the engine and electrics. The heat extremes cause havoc.

What Andy said. I've heard many a horror stories about Singapore imports.

No offence intended BTW.

What Andy said. I've heard many a horror stories about Singapore imports.

No offence intended BTW.

care to share? well actually, I kinda have first hand experience, my oldman was a car importer and he just recently imported 3 e46 330s into New Zealand, one from japan, and two from singapore. The reason why people say that cars from singapore should be advoided is because they do not have a as "well established" 2nd hand car system as compared to japan. generally in japan from big auctions like USS auto auction, all the cars have been checked thoroughly and properly graded, but even so it could still be a hit or miss, oldman imported a 2002 e46 white 330i from japan last september, it was a grade 4.5 car, but turned out that there were damages under the car and thus couldnt get complied. But back to the singapore cars, since theres not a established system to check the cars, you could be buying anything, i.e. the odometer could've been changed back, or it couldve been an accident car. One of the 330 from singapore we imported had to get an engineer's cert. since one of the doors have been bumped into and the compliance centre found out when they took the car apart for compliancing. but i guess thats with buying any 2nd hand vehicles, unless your there urself to check everything out, theres always a probablity that these kind of things happen.