Sign in to follow this  
CahunaKiwi

Newbie - E87 130i Gravel Rally Build

Hey all, new BMW owner here.

As per the title I'm working on building up a 130i as a clubmans rally car, for use on gravel Hillclimbs, Rallysprints and Rallys. The intention isn't for it to be a world-beater or anything, just something that is relatively reliable and that gives maximum smiles-for-the-miles while out on the stages.

Here's what it looked like when I picked it up and drove it home from its old home in Taranaki. I can guarantee that it's not going to stay this low for long!

557955702_BMWCountry800x600.png.b551ea1ec52dff0f930f5c6c14aaf8a9.png

The basic plan with it is:

• Suspension, brakes and LSD - Not sure there's any suitable suspension available off the shelf, so likely to be MCAs (which another local running a 135i uses) or custom-built Bilsteins.
  • Interior - Cage, seats, everything else stripped out, reroute brake and fuel lines to protect them from rocks
  • Electronics - Defang everything! ABS is out, TCS is out, all the nanny warnings about missing airbags/seatbelts/lights etc will (hopefully!) be excommunicated from the vehicle.
  • Engine/Gearbox - Standard. 260hp is twice what I've ever had for rallying so should be enough to keep me smiling... at least for a while!
  • And all the million other minor things that need doing for a rally car - intercom, helmet holder, mudflaps, underbody protection, rerouting wiring to keep it save from the elements etc. And remove the towbar; it's way to heavy to keep as a towing eye for the rear...

Since I'm doing it on a (relative) budget and keeping things simple, I'm hoping to be able to build it in stages over the next few months so I can keep doing club events. And all going well it should be ready for the Northern Rallysprint Series starting in Feb 2023.

• Like 8

Good stuff, have you seen the 130i challenge cars? They sound similar. 

https://www.130ichallenge.nl/

Edited by Jacko