Sign in to follow this  
E30M54

M54 Cuts out at ~5 to 5.5k RPM

Gents, 

One more thing I am trying to solve for on my E30/M54, engine cuts out at ~5 to 5.5K rpm. Its a hard cut, no staggering or sputtering just boom... no power. I've replaced a few things like the E-pedal from auto to manual, injectors (bloody expensive exercise) now I am thinking this could be not enough fuel, the mixture leans out so the ECU just cuts the spark so I dont damage engine, that's my next theory at least. 

Somewhere someone mentioned VSS as the possible culprit, reading through the MS43 wiki, I've not found any evidence. Anyone here had this happen before?  It happens in any gear so I dont think it related to vehicle speed sensor limiting max speed. Ideas? 

https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43&prev=search#Vehicle_Speed_Limiter

Missing VSS/ABS signal does that, doesn't it? Does the same to earlier DMEs

• Like 1

Correct. Missing vss signal will do that.

Easy to reprogram and remove it.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 2:27 PM, polley said:

Correct. Missing vss signal will do that.

Easy to reprogram and remove it.

Please... can you point me in the right direction, how can I fix this? 

Ms4x.net

A supported odb2 usb cable

Download ms4x flasher.

Download rom raider + suitable definitions 

Check your dme software version, if it's supported carry on otherwise flash it with supported version

Download partial read from dme with ms4x flasher 

Open it with romraider, find the setting for rev limiter with missing vss. Set it higher or at where you want your limiter to be. Save file.

Flash edited file back with ms4x flasher.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, polley said:

Ms4x.net

A supported odb2 usb cable

Download ms4x flasher.

Download rom raider + suitable definitions 

Check your dme software version, if it's supported carry on otherwise flash it with supported version

Download partial read from dme with ms4x flasher 

Open it with romraider, find the setting for rev limiter with missing vss. Set it higher or at where you want your limiter to be. Save file.

Flash edited file back with ms4x flasher.

I am more than a little scared of flashing but I cant go on with it the way it is... thank you!

Just ordered one... waiting for it, would like to check, do I need an INPA K+CAN compatible cable? Not knowing what I am doing I ordered a VAG KKL compatible cable, USB. 

I've  been reading through MS4X and playing with the files on TunerPro to get the hang of how this all works before I attempt it.

I found this parameter... "c_vs_fac = 1096" supposed to adjust the pulses from the diff to match what was being sent from the e46 tranny sensor. 

I am just wondering why this has only come up now, every E30/M54 swap should have had this issue and it would have been more common. 

Edited by E30M54