Sign in to follow this  
Zhs

Need help please

Hi, I’m new to the forums so if I’m doing this wrong please let me know,

2 days ago I purchased a 2006 Bmw 330i, car has been looked after well.

Took it for a drive eariler today and was sweet, few hours eariler needed to go to the shop and my steering wheel was not straight while driving straight. Parked it for around half hour before driving back home and would not start. Tried to connect a OBD but said it kept changing inbetween 5-28 errors. And just mainly electrical failures… Indicators,Headlights and interior lights work but gearbox light won’t come on. Also window wipers won’t stop. Dash lit up with all kinds of lights. When try to start the car I hear a couple of clicks or something trying to start.

I am a student with barely enough to afford to run the car so don’t really want to be pouring money into things that it aren’t the cause for this  so any help would be much appreciated 

thanks in advance 

EDIT** car started when put seatbelt in next day. Went to start it again and wouldn’t start.

Edited by Zhs
Missed a couple bits of info

Have you got a battery charger? The first thing to rule out would be a flat battery.

3 hours ago, aja540i said:

Have you got a battery charger? The first thing to rule out would be a flat battery.

^^This.  Flat/bad batteries can cause all kinds of crazy things to happen that you wouldn't think would be battery related. Hopefully its just that.

Did you purchase from a dealer?  If so you're covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act and can ask for them to resolve the issue for you and should not replace any parts but just contact them instead. If you purchased privately read on. 

If it's not the battery maybe a starting point is to google "JBE" or "Junction Box Electronic" symptoms and see if the symptoms of a bad JBE line up with the symptoms you're experiencing or not.  I'd also suggest picking one problem that's on the easier side to diagnose and figuring it out.  e.g. if you can get to the windscreen wipers and switches for them etc that's probably a lot easier than trying to get to the gearbox wiring.  

As it happens I have a couple of spare batteries lying around I was about to put up for sale, so if you don't have access to a known good spare I'm happy to let you try one of mine as a test and see if it sorts the issue for you.  PM me if you're interested.

• Like 2