Sign in to follow this  
Bruski

Headlight bulb replacement from a Y2K z3mc

This has probably been addressed elsewhere but a hunt around the tinternet did not really yield results.  I'm guessing others have had this problem too.

I want to swap the original candles in my 2000 z3mc.  Since picking up the z3mc in 2010 it has had a HID kit installed by the previous owner.  11 years of MOT and the first few years of WOF here in NZ it has been fine until my father took it to VTNZ - while I was in Singapore, without asking.  Nuff said.

Anyhoo, I took it out the other night, raining, couldn't see a thing.  The original lamps are useless, shockingly bad.  Especially when c/f modern lamps.  I'm not keen on putting the HIDs back in, they are very bright I've been told, and rules is rules and all that.

So, what to do?  For every bulb that is on sale there are as many good reviews as bad.

I would rather not spend big bucks on some fancy xenon retrofit, plus I don't really know what that is, all I really want is something that is brighter.

I'm also after something I can source locally in Nu Zulin, so have avoided the US and UK forum postings on this - there are a myriad of options abroad.

Any suggestions?

I feel your pain, having recently gone through my own HID headlight saga with my local WOF merchants. One garage failed them outright (and refused to budge when reminded of the rules) but the vehicle testing equilivant here eventually passed them. Slightly different cirmcimstances I appreciate (refer my build thread), but esstentially my suggestion would be to get some less intense / yellower H3 bulbs (or whatever style it accepts) and then try somewhere else for a pass.

I think they're H7 as standard? Potentially coupled with H1's? Either way, the +xxx% drop in ones are about the best you can legally do.

I hate driving my M3 at night after getting used to the Xenons in my 130.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:31 PM, M3AN said:

I think they're H7 as standard? Potentially coupled with H1's? Either way, the +xxx% drop in ones are about the best you can legally do.

I hate driving my M3 at night after getting used to the Xenons in my 130.

Thanks guys, that about sums it up, you get too used to modern then going back to vintage is not great.

And yeah, H7 as standard.