Sign in to follow this  
GerryAttrick

Any idea what this is?

I have a Jap imported 2016  M135i. Still with Jap maps etc and recently this fell off the windscreen. The wire goes in to the headlining and is probably attached to the mirror?? or not !

It was attached up by the mirror and was unnoticed until it fell down😕.

This is the face and appears to be some sort of sensor. The Red part was on the downward side and it was glued at the top to the screen. Its not for the automatic lights as they still come on at dusk. Nor is it for rainsensing wipers which still work with it dangling face side towards me.

The car has the Jap mirror with a slot for a toll(?) card so I wonder if it is the sensor for that to be read? I am not game to cut it off without knowing more and I dont really want to pull the mirror console apart to see if the wiring goes in there.

If I have to reattach it I'll pop into my local windscreen man and get him to do it with the stuff they stick mirrors on with as double sided tape probably wont last the heat of summer.

Alanimage0.jpeg.3e4d30b3cea3c81740d1d9c90ed0a3cd.jpeg

Agree - It will be the auto toll paying sensor / transmittor IMO.

Cut something similar off my Jap import F31 without issue.

YMMV of course :)

Thanks guys.

@Spinner99 did you ever remove it and sort the error message or if the resistor trick worked. I'd rather get rid of it entirely but maybe even attaching a resistor at the sensor end and then tucking that away might be tidier....easier to tuck it out of sight with just the resistor and not the whole box. For now I'll stick it back in place while I decide which way to go. It was nicely hidden from view stuck at the top of the screen alongside the mirror. I never knew it was there until it fell down

I still have to convert my F20 across to NZ maps and wonder if that would mean the error no longer crops up.Part of the conversion would need to change the coding from Japan to NZ and it might then not look for the VICS aerial.

Are you still running with Jap maps

Hi There

Nah it got put into the too hard basket pretty quickly.  I've just wrapped it in some foam wrap and left it in the head liner and forgotten about it :)

Yeah still Japanese maps in my cars too so no idea if changing it would fix that either.

Good luck!