Sign in to follow this  
babbz

Gidday from Newby -> 1999 E39 528i

Hi everyone,  Pete from West Auckland here.  Just getting the ole BM back on the road again.  Been sitting with Reg. on hold for 5 years now (outside).  Amazingly, no rust.  Have started from the Fuel tank (with a purge of 3ltres old fuel after jumping the fuel pump relay) and am working my way forward.  All DIY thanks to forums like this and youtube.  So far;

• fuel filter replacement
  • stuck idle control valve solved by carb cleaner (no more idle surge)
  • DISA checked out ok
  • MAF is ok but some of the plastic from the MAF web has disintegrated
  • Have dumped coolant from the block and radiator and now looking forward to jimmying up a water pump pulley holder tool to get the fan off (have ordered the proper tool and happy to lend out to other members).  Replacing water pump and thermostat next.....

Lots of things left on the to-do-list, lots to learn and having lots of fun getting there.

Cheers

• Like 3

Yeah they are great money pits for sure, but i dont think anything beats them at their price point.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 3:04 PM, Eagle said:

Yeah they are great money pits for sure, but i dont think anything beats them at their price point.

I definitely read about the money pit part of this before buying one, I thought I was an exception but it is coming back to bite me in the butt :(. However, I have a vision and plan to make it an investment / long term car.

• Like 1

ok so over the past few weeks...

- new after market water pump installed (metal not composite).  Removed the clutch fan using a this guy to hold the water pump pulley while undoing the clutch fan nut.  The proper tool I ordered last Dec still hasn't arrived.

- new serpentine belt and drive belts installed

- new OEM radiator and auxilary water pump installed.

- new battery

- rear right hand side door leaking water onto the floor well during recent dump of rain for the first couple of weeks of Jan 2023.  A known problem with BMWs.  But thanks to Nathans BMW Workshop i'm getting it sorted with the help of Permatex Super Weather strip Adhesive

- rear vision mirror fell off.  The metal button detached from the window so I used a vice to grip the button so I could rotate the metal mirror arm 90% to seperate the metal mirror arm from the button(see no. 7 in pic).  Did some research and found this thread (https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/rearview-mirror-fell-off.1222241/) which lead me to a here http://twrite.org/shogunnew/fixes/body.html#Reattach_rear_mirror.  I used PERMATEX® EXTREME REARVIEW MIRROR PROFESSIONAL STRENGTH ADHESIVE.  After posting this, I will attach the mirror.

Next: 

- wetvac the carpets

- put the door skin back on

- maintain the sunroof as per Nathan's guidance.  And test the sunroof is draining correctly from pillars A and B (im so glad my sunroof doesnt leak but worth a test anyway as the car has been sitting for years).

- figure out why left/right indicator flash is not working on dash display.

and this story is not over yet.

Edited by babbz
  • Like 2