Arata

BMW E46 N42B20A Project…

I took my cylinder head to the one in Sockburn, close to the roundabout and NPD.

Got my head back yesterday. Very reasonable price. The old man said the head had nothing wrong with it. Passed the hardness test, pressure test, vacuum test without issues and he even fitted the valve stem seals for me. Very happy with it! Now I’m getting head bolts and timing chain kit…

IMG_3079.jpeg

IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3078.jpeg

IMG_3080.jpeg

IMG_3081.jpeg

• Like 1

And here it goes for the first time start. She’s all good and healthy now. No more black smoke out of the exhaust and no leaking at all. I also made a correct decision by replacing timing chain as it runs and sounds so much better, as before it felt like it was jumping to start the engine. Forgot to measure the difference of the old and new chain but must’ve stretched out or tensioner given up. Very happy with it. Now I can get rid of the car and sell it.

IMG_3204.jpeg

IMG_3203.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg

IMG_3188.jpeg

IMG_3185.jpeg

IMG_3173.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg

IMG_3151.jpeg

• Like 3

Well done dude, that's a mighty good effort, nice and quick turnaround. Get a lot of hate these engines but should he a good runner for someone for a good while now that the major weak points got addressed. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Vass, I could’ve just replaced the valve stem seals but I’m more of the type where things need to be done properly, gotta get them done so the job is done in one go. It was a first attempt of rebuilding 4 cylinder engine and it was quite fun, even though I’m still a 6 cylinder person.

• Like 1

Good work.....broken the N46 Voodoo. Even little 4 bangers can be rewarding to fix and bring back from the edge.