Murray2023

130i replacing existing stick aerial

Hi has anyone replaced the original 130i stick aerial with the shark fin style without impacting radio reception etc.  and if so was it just a matter of removing existing, connecting cable and double sided tape adhering one from a different model one?

Sorry in advance if above is a dumb question

m

Docking is well documented online, plenty of how to's, although its frowned upon practice for this breed. 

@Angelo has done this if I recall correctly.

I purchased a cheap shark fin style one from Ali and it didn't fit (too small), Chad on the other hand got one that fits, I'm not sure if reception is reduced.

If you have the "fishing rod" long one, that's easy to replace with the shorter "sport" style, which is what I've now done.

46 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I purchased a cheap shark fin style one from Ali and it didn't fit (too small), Chad on the other hand got one that fits, I'm not sure if reception is reduced.

If you have the "fishing rod" long one, that's easy to replace with the shorter "sport" style, which is what I've now done.

Thanks Dave, fyi took a punt and purchased a rear wiper motor assy of Ali and 100% identical to original one that had failed and only took 2 weeks shipping

IMG_3642.jpeg

7 hours ago, M3AN said:

yep, pretty straight forward installation. remove the antenna stick and you just stick the fin cover on top of the module itself. However since removing the "fishing rod" it does affect reception by 10-40% . It doesn't bother me much as I normally use my Bluetooth. 

20 hours ago, Murray2023 said:

Thanks Dave, fyi took a punt and purchased a rear wiper motor assy of Ali and 100% identical to original one that had failed and only took 2 weeks shipping

Smart move. Still has the same design flaw that BMW built in (it's a pattern part after all) so will eventually fail unless you clean it regularly but it's much smarter to use a low cost part for something that will be disposable than it is to pay BMW's extortionist prices. And in this case I'm happy to support IP piracy since BMW should have recalled this part and issued a design update for free, and certainly shouldn't be selling the same faulty part for the price they do.