Sign in to follow this  
walross

Active Steering Motor/Sensors (2008+ E90/others)

I have somehow managed to damage and break the L shape sensor connect on the back of my E90 Active steering rack.

I know the unit is the motor position sensor and that same ebmpapst produced motor/sensor combo was used on a range of BMW models between 2008 and 2013. I also know that BMW have a part number for replacing that same style end cap sensor with L shaped connector on E60 models (Part # 32106769232).

I cannot find that sensor as a stand alone item. I cant even find the combined motor with sensors used on various models steering racks as an individual part number. NZ wreckers seem to be cleaned out of active steering racks with undamaged connectors which kind of shows these items are a common failure point. BMW dealership quoted me $5,500 for a whole new steering rack...

The are refurbished steering racks online which to me says there must be an avenue for purchasing the EBMPAPST components. If anyone knows where to acquire or has a steering rack with that same sensor for wrecking then please get in touch!

FYI Picture is for visual reference and not my actual steering rack.

If nothing else I feel this is a good vent about how BMW pillage us. They have exploded diagrams showing the individual components of a steering rack which seems pointless if they wont sell them.

bmw_e90_e92_steering_rack_acti_1629434399_38cea64f_progressive.jpg

Hey mate just like that but for the 2008 onward models. That won't be a direct replacement as the circuit and internal connections differ. 

They have pumps and complete racks on there for €450-600 plus shipping. No idea if the parts numbers are correct, but worth a look if you get stuck.

17 hours ago, walross said:

I have somehow managed to damage and break the L shape sensor connect on the back of my E90 Active steering rack.

I know the unit is the motor position sensor and that same ebmpapst produced motor/sensor combo was used on a range of BMW models between 2008 and 2013. I also know that BMW have a part number for replacing that same style end cap sensor with L shaped connector on E60 models (Part # 32106769232).

I cannot find that sensor as a stand alone item. I cant even find the combined motor with sensors used on various models steering racks as an individual part number. NZ wreckers seem to be cleaned out of active steering racks with undamaged connectors which kind of shows these items are a common failure point. BMW dealership quoted me $5,500 for a whole new steering rack...

The are refurbished steering racks online which to me says there must be an avenue for purchasing the EBMPAPST components. If anyone knows where to acquire or has a steering rack with that same sensor for wrecking then please get in touch!

FYI Picture is for visual reference and not my actual steering rack.

If nothing else I feel this is a good vent about how BMW pillage us. They have exploded diagrams showing the individual components of a steering rack which seems pointless if they wont sell them.

bmw_e90_e92_steering_rack_acti_1629434399_38cea64f_progressive.jpg

Can do $80 @HELLBM