mincePy

Full Electric Buffalo Leather Seats from e23

Front and rear full electric buffalo leather seats out of an e23. I have had these in storage since 2019 after purchasing for a project but never installed. There are mixed posts online about these fitting e28s as well, with a bit of adjustment, but don't hold me to that.

Electrics

All seats are electric - including the rear (forwards and back motion).

• One motor in the driver's seat is not working - appears to be shorting out or ceased (e.g., it is drawing current, not moving)
  • The seat raising motor in the driver's seat is working but no movement. Can hear the cable clattering a bit - so, suspect the issue is in the cable drive.
  • ALL other motors and drive cables work on all seats. Note, I have only tested the motors directly - not the control box with microswitches.
  • Switches for the rear seats are in the centre seat (pictured), behind your knees if you were sitting on the seat as opposed to in the pull down rear centre console.

Door Cards

Three of the four door cards are in the condition you might expect for their age. The last door card is bent out of shape. 

Seats

• These have been stored inside and periodically cleaned and conditioned. There are many posts online about restoring these back to their old glory - either with a fair bit of hard work and/or by dying the leather.
  • Both rear backrests have tears in the stitching as pictured. The undersides of all seats are pictured, showing rust on the mounts - not surprising given the common water leaks in the e23.
  • Not sure what happened with the plug surrounds from the drivers seat, but easy enough to replace.
  • Seats are otherwise surprisingly comfortable for their age!

Pictures

Have chucked these into a few Google photo albums:

Price

These are getting harder and harder to find in a usable and working condition, but I appreciate there's a bit of work needed to get these up to scratch (depending on your definition of up to scratch!). I no longer have a vehicle for these and need their storage space* back, so all things considered I think a reasonable ask for everything is ~$600.

* the partner wants the spare room back ...

Edited by mincePy

I'm interested, just need to find time to google is the rears fit into an E28 and what would be required to re-stitch them (ie professional or DIY possible). 

On 9/22/2023 at 2:30 PM, Kodachrome said:

I'm interested, just need to find time to google is the rears fit into an E28 and what would be required to re-stitch them (ie professional or DIY possible). 

Awesome - DM me if you like. Will keep these up on TM in the meantime.

Not to be jerking you around, just plans here keep changing, but to confirm, you don't have the cabling or seat position buttons for these right?

On 11/22/2023 at 11:17 AM, Kodachrome said:

Not to be jerking you around, just plans here keep changing, but to confirm, you don't have the cabling or seat position buttons for these right?

Had a good look around and no sorry mate - just the two rear switches already in the rear centre piece, and the cabling on the seats.

Updated:

Have just found the front seat switches in a storage box - so these are included now. Arrows on the buttons are a bit faded as you'd expect, and 3 of the 4 spring clips to hold the switch assembly in the centre console have broken (see pictures). Have tested continuity across all switches and they're operational. All you should need now is a bit of wiring.

Looking to flick the lot, including switches, for $350.

20231218_120955.jpg

20231218_121009.jpg

20231218_121036.jpg

20231218_121044.jpg

20231218_121054.jpg