Silverfern

New Battery register

Hi Guys, I have purchased a new battery for my 2015 X5 30D from a battery store and they help me install and programmed it, on the tool they are used, it's showing " battery validation" rather than "new battery register" , is it the same thing? the staff at the shop told me it's the same, just a bit confused, all the videos online about new battery register is different from what I saw. any one with experience with this? thanks.   

It could be tool dependant and even vehicle dependant.
My old E87 doesn't say either.  I just select the battery from a list and away I go.  Using Bimmergeeks software.

IIRC "Battery Validation" is used if you install an identical spec battery as previous used, as long as the original was "registered" correctly in the first place. And "Battery Registration" is used when you're installing a battery of different spec.

But as @Driftit says, it may well be tool dependant language.

Regardless of the battery I use, if I put a new one in I always do a full "registration".

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 7:39 PM, M3AN said:

IIRC "Battery Validation" is used if you install an identical spec battery as previous used, as long as the original was "registered" correctly in the first place. And "Battery Registration" is used when you're installing a battery of different spec.

But as @Driftit says, it may well be tool dependant language.

Regardless of the battery I use, if I put a new one in I always do a full "registration".

Thanks, what IIRC means? 

The replacement battery is same spec - 105AH  950CCA, the original one is almost 9 years old from the factory so I believe it must registered correctly, if their tool said "Battery validation successful", should I just leave it or spend another $50-100 to get someone register it properly? 

IIRC = 'If I Recall Correctly', been around since before the www (like me!). :)

I think you should be fine based on the information above. If you wanted to be 100% sure you could go to BMW themselves but I'd take a bucket of lube with you.

Edited by M3AN
  • Thanks 1

We get 2 choices when installing a new battery.

Both tell the car it has a new battery...

...but one of them will allow us to tell the car we put a bigger or smaller sized AH battery in the car ( change AH value )

...and will also allow us to tell the car it's a Lead Acid battery or an AGM Battery ( change battery type between Lead acid and AGM )

Example: Factory battery was 12v 70AH AGM ... New battery is 12v 110AH Lead Acid.

...so, the second choice allows us to tell the car we put a bigger, different type of battery in the car. Swapped from 70AH to 110AH and from AGM to Lead Acid.

There are max values to the AH ( amp hours ) size, so don't buy the biggest or smallest battery you can find. My BMW E91 car will only go to "100AH with AGM" and "110AH with Lead Acid".

I think the lowest AH number was 40. I'll take a look and edit this post.

My new 12v 110AH Lead Acid battery was under $500 NZD. 8/23

Edited by overly__under__engineered

On 8/25/2023 at 8:38 PM, Silverfern said:

the replacement battery is the same spec. their tool said "Battery validation successful". should I just leave it or spend another $50-100 to get someone else to register it again? 

Leave it. They did it correctly.