Sign in to follow this  
Wall-E

6 Speed Auto to M44 possible?

Hi All,

Hopefully this is the right area, couldnt find anywhere specific to swaps or transmissions to post. But it is a performance based question.

I have a M44 Powered BMW Z3 with the somewhat dull 4speed auto. I would love to upgrade it to a more modern ZF 6speed auto (DCT would be nice but $$$$) to make the car a bit more sporty but still keeping it auto as its mostly my wifes car and she doesnt like manual. I dont really want to swap the engine as I like the 4 cyl and it would be a nice project to get the most out of what we already have.

I have scoured the internet and couldnt find any info on this? I dont know if I am just not using the correct search terms or if its just something that nobody can be bothered doing as they just get a manual. Any advice or a pointer to some information would be much appreciated.

Would take a lot of work so unlikely many have done it especially for 4 cylinder.

Have you had the transmission serviced and had adaptions reset? I think they change well enough for a 90s car in sport mode, just rob power compared to manual. Most M44 on the road aren't operating at 100%, most have failed DISA valves, vac leaks etc etc

4 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

zf 6speed auto swap ?

use a aftermarket trans controller like these guys use

https://www.youtube.com/@ZeroTo60Tube/search?query=turbolamik

but probaby not worth the cost etc 

maybe do it with a 8spd zf 

Cost isnt so much a thing as projects rarely stack up financially. More a thing to do because I like doing things (within financial reason). 8speed would be great (very nice in my friends modern 340i) but being from such a new vehicle I would assume a bit more of a financial commitment than something out of an older wrecked car

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

Would take a lot of work so unlikely many have done it especially for 4 cylinder.

Have you had the transmission serviced and had adaptions reset? I think they change well enough for a 90s car in sport mode, just rob power compared to manual. Most M44 on the road aren't operating at 100%, most have failed DISA valves, vac leaks etc etc

Havnt done yet, the transmission shifts very well and behaves about as well as I could ever expect, it just lacks ratios and more manual control that perhaps a more modern box could provide (the dream would be to retrofit the paddle shift ability from a more modern car)

The engine itself is fine, no rocketship and nor do I expect it to be. It needs a good going over and I have the parts to fix its oil leak (oil filter housing) and replace the thermostat which is stuck open and give it a general service. The Vacuum lines all look to have been replaced recently and it runs very well for what is now an old car. I would just like a slightly more engaging drive while retaining day to day usability.

Fair enough.

Smoke test and\or fuel trim values will tell you if you have any vacuum leaks, rarely notice them otherwise unless they are major ones. The small DISA valve diaphram (get them off ebay) are always split and you will gain back some low end <3000rpm power. Good idea to replace O2 sensor also, always old and slow and dull throttle response on these engines ive found. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, will add the parts to the list. Im more a Honda guy than BMW so its a bit of a learning curve.

It is a little dull, which I put down to being stuck attached to a boring old Auto, but maybe there is a little more to be had. From the looks of the engine bay its had some work recently, fresh hoses and vacuum lines, the PCV valve to intake hose even has a hose clamp. Has a rego label holder from a workshop called Werkstatt.

No worries. They are about as close to a typical 4 cyl Japanese engine as you can get for a BMW, pretty basic and fairly reliable.

Bonus having the PCV + hose done. Im assuming you are running 95+ octane. Engine mounts are another good item that usually help with inherent engine idle vibration. Like many cars a throttle body clean\polish and MAF clean is never a bad idea.

If you are not aware there is a small plastic coolant flange at the back of the head which can break leading to quick overheat (only real weakness on these engines). It may of been done with the PCV hoe or another time but its hard to know sometimes unless you replace it. There is another one under the manifold which can fail too but much less likely.

Item 9 - http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E36-Compact/Europe/318ti-M44/R-M/1997/browse/engine/cylinder_head_attached_parts/

If you want to free up engine bay space you can use the bottom section of the earlier M42 engine airbox and snorkel (or custom make something) which doesnt have the big air duct pipe running across the front. 

• Like 1

Another item added to the "to check" list, so far all Ive done to it has been pretty straight forward with the added bonus of repair manuals and wiring diagrams readily available for free and in english, such luxury.

Also yes running on 95 octane fuel, have changed plugs and given the maf a clean as it did have a slightly lumpy idle when I got it but good as gold now.

For my future reference I assume that the M44 engine shares the same bellhousing mating pattern as the bigger M50? Or am I missing something 

Yeah all the M4X and M5X engines are in that regard.