Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E34 clunk when I turn right

My 540is makes a clunking sound when I turn right, and also sometimes when I go over bumps etc. It sounds like its come from the front of the vehicle. FWIW I have recently replaced the trailing arm bushes and dog bones in the rear as one of the bushes was shot and a dog bone was in pretty poor shape. There was certainly a noise coming from that rear area and now it seems gone, but now I have a slightly quieter, but still noticeable clunk up front. I will hopefully get access to a hoist soon, where should I start looking? 

20201018_141239.jpg

I have just had a thought, when I replaced the front suspension, I also replaced the stabiliser link bars. (sway bar links). I remember at the time, thinking the diameter of the bolt was smaller that the hole in the sway bar. I am thinking that might cause a clunk as it moves/slips in the hole. Any thoughts on that. BTW I tightened everything up to specified torque settings except the top of the sway bar link where I was unable to get the torque wrench in there. 

Edited by Herbmiester

Sway bar bolt hole is typically larger than the link bolt but shouldn't be by much ~1mm. They do have fairly high torque value so shouldn't move if tightened correctly.

Have you done any other front end work? or what been replaced? Manually checked\felt for any play in bushings, ball joints, steering joints\bushings etc when wheels off the ground and\or loaded? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Sway bar bolt hole is typically larger than the link bolt but shouldn't be by much ~1mm. They do have fairly high torque value so shouldn't move if tightened correctly.

Have you done any other front end work? or what been replaced? Manually checked\felt for any play in bushings, ball joints, steering joints\bushings etc when wheels off the ground and\or loaded? 

I replaced the strut inserts, so now I am wondering if I might have done something wrong. I haven't gone over the ball joints bushings etc, mainly because I didn't have access to a hoist. Looks like I will have to do all that. If only John from Auto 38 was still in Welly. 

Possible. Bad strut mounts or something loose could cause it. Popping the strut cap and check the nut is tight would be the first step. Giving the end links another crank cant hurt.

2 people should be able to do a good check with one moving the shaking the steering wheel when needed and one under the car looking and feeling for play. Prybar is useful too.

• Like 1