Sign in to follow this  
ricky

info on 318is

i was interested in buying a 91' e30 318is and have a 325es now can anyone give me as much information on that model for that year, engine info anyhitng and everyhitg regarding that car i knwo the motor is a far cry from mine.

thanks

The 318iS is, in my highly regarded opinion, the best E30 after the M3. It has a brilliant, tractable twin cam engine, excellent factory suspension setup, and a subtle bodykit that (once again, in my opinion) looks better than M-tech 2 bodykittage.

You also should get some cool 80s plaid upholstery, and decent spec levels. A great car, go for it because they are very rare on the ground these days!

i was told taht in 91' hte only model of 318 tehy made was the "is" isd this true or do they make an "i" as well and if so wats the difference in that

People here will put me right if I'm wrong:

Make sure the profile gasket and water pump has been replaced. When looking for my iS, allbeit a E36, I came across a wealth of info on the net for these E30's.

My opinion - best E30 out there ( besides M3 of course )

Good luck

i was told taht in 91' hte only model of 318 tehy made was the "is" isd this true or do they make an "i" as well and if so wats the difference in that

depends where you from. over in the states that might be true but over here we just got standard 318i. engine is main difference, plus iS gets sports bits, seats, steering wheel front lip, suspension etc.

are tehre any otehr e30's taht used the dual overhead cam and does that feature make it harder to get aftermarket cams for

Only the M3 AFAIK. M40 318i is SOHC.

I don't know about the aftermarket cam option.

Post up some pics including of the engine bay if you are unsure of whether you are looking at a genuine IS.

There are two differing E30 318 models produced in 1990.

318i M40 113 horsepower SOHC

318iS M42 136 horsepower DOHC (same engine found in the E36 318iS)

Edited by E30stz

Thanks - that is what I meant Andy - OTHER than the IS the only other twin cam e30 is the m3.

Bravomikewhiskey: Thanks - that is what I meant Andy - OTHER than the IS the only other twin cam e30 is the m3.

Wasn't the E30 M3 a single cam engine?

Guest Spargo

It actually had no cams and god merely operated the valves for you.

No. The E30 320iS is the 2nd best E30. As it has an S14, it is also a twin cam.

Details here: http://www.bmwe21.net/320is/

The E30 318iS is a great little car, it is underpowered, but handles like a dream.

Edited by cainchapman

No. The E30 320iS is the 2nd best E30. As it has an S14, it is also a twin cam.

Agreed.

thank u everyone im gunna try and get pics up of the engine bay so i can tell if its genuine only doubt is because someone told me the owner had once run it totally badgless but its very possible he jsut put the old ones back on.

there was an twin cam option one company made for the m20! ive only ever seen on photo of one. that would make a very cool 325i, not sure of the power it made prob not much more than stock, but at least it would be a more usable power delivery than the single cam.

the Racing Dynamics 24V head

apparently they made a grand total of about two

I thought it was a very limited run but only 2 lol. would be very sweet tho

I'm think that RD head was either twin cam and 12 valve or it was just a 24 valve single cam. Can't remeber which it was.

Guest Spargo

The RD was DOHC 24V, 6 made apparently - they were dropping 100hp/L on the dyno, 2.8 M20 with 280 N/A HP - :bowdown:

Callaway in the states also built a 24V head, made major power too, 220hp from a 2.5, but both heads grenaded themselves pretty quick. The Callaway one was a single cam.