Sign in to follow this  
bmwerks

e46 330D Gearbox issues.

Hey Guys 

Long story short, auto trans will go into "Drive" successfully for 20 meters or so and then there is nothing (essentially as if it is was in neutral), no matter how much gas you give. 

Some forums suggest torque converter as I understand the GM boxes are kinda trash. 

Is it worth getting diagnostics done first? - I'm assuming this is a gearbox out job. 

I really love the car and plan to keep it for a long time if possible. The car is otherwise in pretty great condition so may consider a manual swap for longevity. Anyone know how much realistically this would cost? 

TIA

330D uses it's own manual gearbox/driveshaft etc which might be a bit harder to find. Not sure they are interchangeable with a normal 330 manual box.

Assuming you can find the parts for a 330d, manual swap probably costs 3.5-4k if you do the work yourself.

There’s a diesel zf box on FB now for $2300.

• Like 1

Roland actually has a complete 6 speed kit. You might be able to swap the rear half of your auto driveshaft onto this and you're good to go. I'd go this route personally.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/7438401319514971/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A4aec2e64-4072-4f26-b9f5-e2f331e6f959

Edited by Harper
  • Like 2

Legends - thanks guys ill have a look.