Sign in to follow this  
Only118d

Service Information / Workshop Manual for F20 (118d)

Hello everyone,  I am after the service information for my 118d/F20 as the owner’s manual (found on the www) doesn’t list out everything. 

Also when I search the www I get different answers depending where I look. 

So I was hoping someone had experience with any of these sources of information or could recommend something else.

1.        The Haynes Manual.  I have used these before and they are usually reasonably good.  It appears there is now a manual for F20 available but it is not a hard book but an online system called “Haynes autofix” which has videos and other stuff.    Has anyone tried these new online Haynes manuals? 

2.       Workshop manual .  Has anyone downloaded one of these?  An actual BMW one or other? 

3.       Or should I just be using the wisdom of you all on Bimmersport.co.nz. 

At this stage I am just after the basics: 

Engine oil (5w-30 LL04)?

Trans fluid (ZF only?)

Coolant (Green ethyl-glycol)?

Diff oil (75w-90)

Brake fluid (I bought the BMW DOT4 LV).

Edited by Only118d

Penrite product selector is a good general go to and is usually fairly accurate. Plenty of aftermarket fluids available for all of that with everyone has their own preferences. I generally use Penrite as they make good products at reasonable prices and are easy to source. 

I bought an online Haynes manual awhile back and it was ok but it they can vary alot in quality. Bentley publishers make good BMW manuals based on official BMW literature, but i dont think they make one for your car. Usually with BMW's you can find enough info on whatever is required without paying though.

Bimmercat is pretty good with fluids. 

6 hours ago, Eagle said:

Penrite product selector is a good general go to and is usually fairly accurate. Plenty of aftermarket fluids available for all of that with everyone has their own preferences. I generally use Penrite as they make good products at reasonable prices and are easy to source. 

I bought an online Haynes manual awhile back and it was ok but it they can vary alot in quality. Bentley publishers make good BMW manuals based on official BMW literature, but i dont think they make one for your car. Usually with BMW's you can find enough info on whatever is required without paying though.

Thanks Eagle, i checked out the Penrite (Australia?) site, and it is comprehensive.  Although it did suggest a strange engine oil selection for my 118d/B47.  However, I will use it again.   

You are correct as Bentley Publishing don't have a manual for my 1 series unfortunately.  

There does seem a lot of information for BMWs on line.  Even more than for MX5 and WRX which i though was quite good.  

Thanks again for the reply and information.  

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

Bimmercat is pretty good with fluids. 

Thanks Gaz, that site gives great information about my cars spec and the relevant BMW part numbers.

Thanks