I know this question has been asked a million times before on other forums, but:

Which E36's have LSD's? I've seen so much conflicting information. "Winter package only" "is models only" "Sport package only" "328i only"

Also, are there any other LSD options I can use? For example E46 M3 or E60 M5. Are there any good aftermarket options? I read a few posts saying the RacingDiffs kits were crap.

Keen to hear thoughts from resident E36 nuts, I know there are a few of you here.

All the ones ive come across and owned with factory LSD's are earlier 6 cylinder models without traction control, typically M50 engines. Like the E34's before it once ASC was standard equipment they tended to stop using them. There are examples of cars having both but its not very common, maybe customer optioned or certain packages in other countries?.

Mfactory is probably the best aftermarket for the money imo - clutch or helical types.

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

All the ones ive come across and owned with factory LSD's are earlier 6 cylinder models without traction control, typically M50 engines. Like the E34's before it once ASC was standard equipment they tended to stop using them. There are examples of cars having both but its not very common, maybe customer optioned or certain packages in other countries?.

Mfactory is probably the best aftermarket for the money imo - clutch or helical types.

Bummer, so hunting for one with a factory is a bit of a pointless endeavour?

I'll have a look at MFactory kit. Thanks Eagle.

Should show up on VIN decoder unless someone has retrofitted one. Last time i saw one for sale was $1500 and you dont know what condition the clutches. Either way its not cheap given mfactory ones around around 2k+setup costs if you pay someone.

14 hours ago, Eagle said:

Should show up on VIN decoder unless someone has retrofitted one. Last time i saw one for sale was $1500 and you dont know what condition the clutches. Either way its not cheap given mfactory ones around around 2k+setup costs if you pay someone.

I tried a few decoders, I can only see Sport Package. I think it might be more practical to just have a regular diff and a welded one for the track. My goal is to make a car I can learn to drift in, but still be able to drive it to the track and back. I don't have space for a trailer, and can't keep one on the street because it'll get stolen immediately.

• Like 1

All the BMW ive owned with factory LSD's were listed as a separate option. Easy enough to check regardless.

Not sure about practical given the hassle swapping diffs? but certainly cheaper and you can have a track and street gear ratio too.