Sign in to follow this  
deedub

ECU Rust

Not sure if there are any software developers around here... But figured I'd drop some interesting reads on Rust being used in vehicle ECUs (the programming language not the the rust we all dread).

Was reading a blog post on a Rust based project and ended up on a blog post from thought works about Rust being used in automotive software.

Safety critical code has been dominated by C/C++ for ages. It's refreshing to see Rust is something that could make it's way into automotive software (if you're fan of Rust already then you know why).

I don't use Rust in my work but I've dabbled with it over the years for hobby embedded projects. When I have more free time I'm keen to contribute to Deno (which is Rust under the hood)...

The name alone should mean it's the right language for cars 😜

Some more interesting reads if there are any other nerds out there:

- Volvo software architect interview

- Reddit thread

- Uni students ECU diagnostics tool from a few years back (haven't looked at the code yet but sounds interesting)

• Like 1

On a level back from this I have been having copilot write me code for automotive gauges using Arduino.  Works quite well.  Just have to get some decent LCD's that are the size I want.  Kinda cool for the 200sx as the LCD's look quite retro.  I have just been using some from work to test on.

I watched a video recently of someone building a LCD dashboard from scratch to replace his Mitsi Starion digital dash.

Looking at how simple the MAPECU is in my E34.  More modern code should be able to handle that junk easily.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Driftit said:

On a level back from this I have been having copilot write me code for automotive gauges using Arduino.  Works quite well.  Just have to get some decent LCD's that are the size I want.  Kinda cool for the 200sx as the LCD's look quite retro.  I have just been using some from work to test on.

I watched a video recently of someone building a LCD dashboard from scratch to replace his Mitsi Starion digital dash.

Looking at how simple the MAPECU is in my E34.  More modern code should be able to handle that junk easily.

That sounds cool. Do you have a link to that video (Mitsi Starion dash)? 

Love seeing people tinker with these sorts of things. 

Heard good things about copilot. Some workmates rate it. Cuts down development time. I haven't got around to trying it yet though.

Edited by deedub

Will have a hunt for it.  Was a while back.  But was pretty cool.
Once you learn what to ask copilot it writes pretty good stuff.  As long as it is not too crazy.

• Thanks 1