Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Remove oxidisation from paint

I have a patch of discoloured paint on the 325. It is still a gloss finish - it hasn't gone rough. Copious amounts of Meguiars Paint Cleaner and a pneumatic buffer for about 4 or 5 hours has reduced the discoloured area by half and restored the orginal colour but I don't really feel like another 4-5 hours.

Any magic products out there that will not wreck my paint???

Cheers

I used a Mothers product (not sure what one it was off the top of my head), it did wonders to the oxidation on the E36's paintwork.

I got it at a Repco (or other somesuch run of the mill parts place).

I didn't need a power buffer, and it had no adverse effect on the paint.

Cheers

Grant

i've been told by a valet guy that mothers and meguires are exactly the same owned by the same people and same product so if thats true mothers or meguires - shouldnt really matter then?

Guest Andrew

Autoglym body shop range - any of the cutting compounds one - medium abrasiveness.

The paint cleaner isn't really meant to be used like that - you could try Meguairs Scratch-X

I did try scratch X but the paint cleaner worked better - go figure. I'll try the cutting compund - didn't want to f**k the paint so wasn't sure about using that.

Paint cleaner and Scratch X are very similar. S-X is a diminishing polish, where it reduce abrasiveness as you use it and eventually leave a protective layer on where you use it. Paint cleaner is more constant abrasiveness pretty much and doesn't protect where you use it after you remove it.

As Andrew say, try a light to medium compound or swirl remover. In your case, don't use anything that has "glaze" in the product name. Glaze is mostly filler, which won't help you when you have oxidated paint.

How big is the patch by the way, chance of a photo?

I'll throw a phot up after the weekend - it was about400mm by 500mm so pretty large - now about 150-200mm x 500mm

I'll try one of those compounds mentioned and let you know how it goes.