Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Best alternative to SH1

I'm sick of SH1 going around lake Taupo via SH1 during the day and I also have a suspicion that the desert road isn't going to be flash this time of year.

From Wellington, what's best, take a turn at Waiuru (sp) and head up the west side to Tokoroa or take SH4 and join up with SH3 to Hamilton?

If you turn off at Waiouru you're best to go thru Tauramanui and Otorohanga and join back north of Hamilton, otherwise if the Desert Rd is OK, turn off at Turangi and go up the Western side and rejoin at Tokoroa, some nice roads that way. I Think.

Drive to Wangauni. Take SH4 to Te Kuiti. Then Take SH37 to bypass Hams. SH37 join SH1 out North of Hams. Not SH3!! unless you have to go to the tron. I have seen ninja's there.

You pass most major NI towns this way.

Hams

Cambridge

Tokoroa

Taupo

Turangi

Waiouru

Tiehappy

This way only towns you go through:

Tamuranui

Te Kuiti

Otorohanga

At this time of year i drive this route. In my opinion its the safest and has the less amount of total traffic. It may be longer in distance, but you average speed is faster this time of year. Plus less amount of time spent in a 50km zone.

Edited by bumpstop325

Drive to Wangauni. Take SH4 to Te Kuiti. Then Take SH37 to bypass Hams. SH37 join SH1 out North of Hams. Not SH3!! unless you have to go to the tron. I have seen ninja's there.

You pass most major NI towns this way.

Hams

Cambridge

Tokoroa

Taupo

Turangi

Waiouru

Tiehappy

This way only towns you go through:

Tamuranui

Te Kuiti

Otorohanga

At this time of year i drive this route. In my opinion its the safest and has the less amount of total traffic. It may be longer in distance, but you average speed is faster this time of year. Plus less amount of time spent in a 50km zone.

sh*t, they dont call you a geography whore for nothing do they Tim!!

Yeah, was already considering the SH37&39 bypass to Ngarawahia, just whether it's better to go to Taumaranui via Wanganui or Waiuru.

Edited by Carl

bypassing to ngaruawahia coming from auckland was a real biarch last time, but still a good route no less.

Tim's Route gets my vote. Or you can just skirt around Taupo on the west and come out at Tokoroa.

post-2-1150953353.gif

Edited by cainchapman

Looking at the news tonight you won't get north at the moment?

Tim's Route gets my vote. Or you can just skirt around Taupo on the west and come out at Tokoroa.

2nd'd

Our IT guy drove back from Aucker's the other day, got to Taumaranui and got sent back to Te Kuiti and had to go via New Plymouth, took him 14hrs with all the detours etc...

edit.

Just read in the dom-post sh4 wanganui-raetihi closed by a landslip, lovely.

Edited by E30-323ti

Try Wellington Airport, If going by the NEWS is anything to go by. The view is great

tim where you been *****?

next time you rockn hamz we gotta catch up for a blaze

I just got home from Auckland. Got outa the Auckland traffic at 5pm, into Wellington at 1am, with a few stops on the way. Was gonna go the route pictured but Ratehi to Wanganui was closed so I went thru National Park and into Waioru. Bugger all traffic, heaps of cops. Dunno about getting back Sunday afternoon tho...

Edited by E30_318i

All yesterday they were saying the only way open was vis New Plymouth!