Sign in to follow this  
MR_E

O2 sensor

Hey all

I have a 89 Alpina C2.5 and it doesn't have a O2 sensor can any one shed some light on why.

I have no problems with starting and it never misses a beat...... all very strange

Thanks

Our Local BMW Dealer can reprogramme the ECU to bypass the O2 sensor, I'm going to get it done to my car. costs about $100-$150 about the same cost as a second hand O2 sensor

My O2 sensor is faulty [About $400 new] $150.00 Second hand with no gaurantee it's any good. BMW can bypass it for the same money [it's mainly there for exhaust emissions,we have no smog laws here]

My O2 sensor is faulty [About $400 new] $150.00 Second hand with no gaurantee it's any good. BMW can bypass it for the same money [it's mainly there for exhaust emissions,we have no smog laws here]

anything i;'ve ever had anything to do with runs quite rich without the O2 sensor in the loop. For example, toyota efi systems go into 'limp mode', which is a vague similarity to a 'safe mode'.

I'd get another sensor. they dont usually give problems so a secondhand one will be fine no doubt.

other than that, I notice places like appco/repco, partmaster, and the likes, sell O2 sensors these days, I can get *some* in thru "tridon" at work (tridon are classicly known for doing radiator caps, thermostats etc), and are quite competitive pricing, compared to O.E.

also a point to note.........

if it doesnt actually have one, how do you know it's had, or needs one?

my gti runs l-jet, and has no evidence of an O2 sensor, from factory. Perhaps this is the case with some bmws?

Edited by CaM

Thanks CaM point taken :D

I am not really going to get one fitted car runs great and....

if it aint broke dont fix it

I guess what i am really asking is what are the differences between my C 2.5 Alpina and standard BMW's

have been looking on the net but can really find anything

Any Help

Cheers

An Easy way to check if the O2 is faulty[and causing engine to run too rich],is to solder some wires to a 1.5 volt battery and bridge it across the O2 sensor [This method is jusf for checking, I wouldn't want to do any distance on a lean running engine]

But as stated before, Bypassing the O2 sensor seems to be an acceptable repair method that BMW dealerships themselves do