Sign in to follow this  
CaM

Mint 6er

this is an absolute crime. :angry:

he should dargged out and shot for doing this to a classic big six. :puke:

its only worth now about $4k after this body less the s@*t motor. and the time and money to put an m30 back into it.

$12k my big hairy arse. :thumbsdown:

if he wanted performance and power he could have put an M series motor in it. M5 or if you could get one an M6

it s disgrace to still have a BMW badge on it :banghead:

sixer man

stubbszy

post-1170-1152914398_thumb.jpg

While its not a car that I would consider buying, at the end of the day the guy owns the car and he's free to do what he wants with it.

Before bagging the guy for the conversion, remember its not so long ago that the M30 engines were F#*king expensive to repair/replace. I remember when a friend of ours paid $6500 for a low km 525 engine for his E12, he went down this path as he was quoted around $10K to have his one rebuilt.

There is no mention on when the conversion was done intially, obviously you would have to be a tad stupid to do it now, as the engines can be brought so cheaply now, and you wouldnt have to go through all of the crap associated with certifing the car.

The cost of the "foreign"engines is why we saw all manner of "strange" converisons here....Chev powered XJ6s, Rover powered E12 5 series, Ford V6 powered Ro80's etc etc, hell a mate of mine was offered a Silver Shadow powered by a Ford Big Block

Personally I think his price expectation is a little hopeful, in todays market I would imagine you would be hopeful to get much over $5K for a tidy early 635, especially when you see a tidy 540 6 speed only getting $13K.

Edited by rxsumo

by the way can you tell me which motor design still copied to day has produced the highest hp/cubic inch

Correct me if Im wrong but I thought that the E46 M3 CSL has the best hp/litre

for a production car with over 100hp per litre.

Is the hemi's record for a modified engine?

Correct me if Im wrong but I thought that the E46 M3 CSL has the best hp/litre

for a production car with over 100hp per litre.

Is the hemi's record for a modified engine?

The 426 hemi was rated at 425hp in a production car [thats 60.88hp/litre]most of these engines were strangled at the carb so they had a shitload of torque below 5000rpm [a simple mod was a bigger carb]

interesting comments about engine design:In 1929 Vitorio Jano designed a straight 8 cylinder engine,alloy block, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder,supercharged,for the Alfa Romeo 8C [it revved to 9500rpm which in 1929 would have stretched metallurgy to thelimit]

The problem with this 6 series, is that he ruined the pedigree [6's are cool, remember the Frank Gardiner JPS 6er driven by Jim Richards]we can all argue over the merits of [this engine or that engine etc]but you have to ask yourself if this swap is acceptable in this car,and who's going to buy it [an E30 with a Rotor is OK today, but try another 20years]

I agree about the V8's at Puke',I race a V8 myself [gets 170mph on the back straight]Good Fun

one of my best [recent] memories at Puke' was Jason Richards screaming that 3series Beemer over the mountain in the wet, He was Tapped-out & not backing off [every race-car has some sort of merit,not just V8's]

The problem with this 6 series, is that he ruined the pedigree [6's are cool, remember the Frank Gardiner JPS 6er driven by Jim Richards]we can all argue over the merits of [this engine or that engine etc]but you have to ask yourself if this swap is acceptable in this car,and who's going to buy it [an E30 with a Rotor is OK today, but try another 20years]

Who cares.......

Are you going to post over every 6 series that has gone to the scrapper in the UK because its gone rusty, especially due to the fact that is was not worth repair was due to the poor body protection from its Karmann assembly process ....or every E9 CSi/CSL thats gone the same way (and the E9 has a shitload more " racing pedigree" than the 6 series)

There are an awful load of BMWs with racing pedigree, E3, E9, 2002, E12, E21 to name a few ...a 635 is no different to any other old BMW, unless somebody really wants a particular car, its another old gas guzzler that at the moment isnt worth too much, and if you arent careful with your choice will cost you a bucket load of money to keep on the road in time to come.

What this guy has is a mutant, that will probably get sold for next to nothing when he gets bored of having no takers at $12K, or will die in a garage, when the guy realises the the 318 is worth more to a Chrysler enthusiast, than as a working car, and sells the motor and box out of the car.

YOU ARE RIGHT: WHO CARES?

in this world of demand and supply, what he is doing is increasing the values of original 6ers by taking one out of circulation, along with all the rust buckets in the UK [it will probably end up as cheap parts for an enthusiast]

Thats what I meant about 'ruining the pedigree' by building a hybrid.