Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Removing and installing glass

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how to remove the windscreens (without breaking them) from a BMW E30. Unsure whether I should be hacking into teh seal with a craft knift or is there a particular way to doing this.

Same goes for windows imbedded into doors, if someone smashes one and you dont want to pay price to say smith and smith and just replace with used glass.. how does one go about swapping.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by E30stz

Same goes for windows imbedded into doors, if someone smashes one and you dont want to pay price to say smith and smith and just replace with used glass.. how does one go about swapping.

Given that i've recently replaced my own side window due to a smash and grab I can give some insight on this one as it's quite simple.

There's two types of formats though. My windows (FL format?) have two metal runners attached with urethane to the window near the middle while the other type (pre FL?) has a metal runner at the front of the window attached by screws.

I actually put an older style window into mine reusing the runners from my broken window.

Basic format is:

Take of door panel

Remove ALL traces of old window

Insert new window from top, front end first

Hold window at top

Wind up mechanism to top, mate to window, then secure

Put cover back on

Windscreen is easy as, it has an insert in the middle of the rubber which goes right around the window, this has a joiner where the 2 ends come together. Slide this one way until you can see an opening and using a small screwdriver lift the insert up and peel it out right around. Reach inside and gently push the screen out starting in the top corner on one side, should come free quite easily. Fitting new is reverse but push a length of light cord into the rubber, then start the new screen in one corner, as you push the screen in you pull the cord out, this lifts the edge of the rubber over the screen, kind of like tyre levers do when you change a bike tyre. Some people put a squirt of windscreen sealant in the rubber, especially if it's not new, be careful not to use too much. Finally refit the insert, should just push in, if tight you can wet with a little detergent. Good luck.

same goes for the back windscreen?

I'm thinking of re-sealing the back windscreen because i think that is how water is getting into my boot and back seat.

Would asume the back's the same, but I haven't done one. Looks like it has a joiner in each bottom corner, ease these out and the insert should out as well then it's the same as the front.

Would asume the back's the same, but I haven't done one. Looks like it has a joiner in each bottom corner, ease these out and the insert should out as well then it's the same as the front.

WARNING!! Be very careful with front screen as it is laminated & will break very easily -I know- I broke one recently.

Before attempting to remove, let the glass & rubber warm in the sun -the rubber is much more plyable then & Im told the glass is less brittle.

As stated - remove bead insert & start by easing out from a top corner taking care not to put pressure in one spot of the glass.

Once part of the glass is freed it will come out easily.

Safer bet if it is not wanted is to sacrifice the rubber by cutting along with a stanley knife.

Rear screen same procedure but no real risk of breaking as it is only toughened glass which is nowhere near as easy to break as laminated.

Good Luck!!