Sign in to follow this  
DrphTa

t boned

i hope the other guy admitted fault for it - like didn't try and pull any fast ones like "I was always going to go straight" But I don;t get how he could have hit you so fast if he was planning to go left he wouldv'e started to slow down. Must be an idiot. What sucks is insurance will only pay market value at the time it was insured what sucks even more is they probably wouldn;t take into acct the rarity of the E30 318is

Make sure to talk to the assessors of your car while they are assessing them as you can convince them of there rarity and also the fact there are very very few nice E30's out there at the moment. Because the assessors are independant you dont have to worry about getting bias results.

Just emphasis, there age and the imacculate condition of your car - the rarity and value. I mentioned when I was going thruogh this with the assessors on my car that I wouldnt be able to get a car of the same spec regardless of the condition for less than a certain price and sure enough thats what they paid out. Tell them about the fact its the only DOHC model engine released in the E30's and one of the most sort after. Possibly as many as only 10-15 in the country. Be sure to mention any visable work your've done on teh car whether it be a new paintjob, new tyres or other selling points for hte car. Tell them about common flaws in E30's such as rust, rips, cracks in the dash, high kims (as appose to your reasonable km's) and all the other signs of age that cant be seen on your car.

They are trying to look at this from a car salesmen type of view, they want to know waht they would ask for it on a yard, if you express the value of this rare biarch then you may be surprised how much you get. Be aware that they will get more than one assessor to look at your car and often take an average between them as to what you get paid out for your car.

I doubt you'll end up getting what your car is worth, but be sure to emphasis what getting a replacement of this calibre would cost without sounding ridiculous and you hopefully will sway the assessors opinon. Tell them you highly doubt you'll ever find something of this quality, because your car looks to have been a real minter. It may help if you are looking to get a realistic value figure to show them the photos you posted on bimmersport, the shine in that car is amazing and its such a pitty to see it go.

Hope this helps somewhat, was a bitch doing my car but I got a fair deal out of it. Was ironic, firstly.., firstly that the driver (a boy racer) .. stopped and didnt pull a runner 2ndly that the driver admited responsibility and last that he had full insurance.

Cheers

Andy

Hope this helps somewhat, was a bitch doing my car but I got a fair deal out of it. Was ironic, firstly.., firstly that the driver (a boy racer) .. stopped and didnt pull a runner 2ndly that the driver admited responsibility and last that he had full insurance.

Cheers

Andy

yea it sucks aye. i was at fault to... failing to give way to oncomming traffic! $150 fine aswell!

its such bs when he had indicated, slowed down and was going to give way to me. then he changed his mind and hit me in the side, wrote both cars of to.. he was driving a toyota surf 4x4.

what made me laugh was that his car would not start and had to be pulled up onto the truck. where as my car started straight away and the towey drove it onto his truck. :o

Edited by DrphTa

yea. seeing its written off its not my car anymore.

going to an e36 hopefully. looking at one tomorrow, its a 323i coupe with 94,000kms and he wants around 10k for it

Sorry to hear about your loss :( it sucks that you got stung $150 for something that wasn't initially your fault.

I have a 93 325i coupe for sale check it out on trade me if your interested

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=63431697

Otherwise goodluck finding your E36

Edited by Shorty

A very sad day, there is an E30 iS identical to yours in Lower hutt near where I live, I lust after it daily. If anyone sees this car at a wreckers, please alert me, I want those plaid sports seats! (and the engine, but might be a bit harder!)

what made me laugh was that his car would not start and had to be pulled up onto the truck. where as my car started straight away and the towey drove it onto his truck. :o

hmmm i wonder why? maybe the sheer fact that his damage was at the front of the car whereas yours was on the side? last i heard the engine is loacated at the front.

i dont get it - how can someone slow down, you start moving and then he supposedly accelerate into you. maybe he just wanted to write off both cars?

That rule is pretty open to the person who is going straight ahead, I neally got caught the same way but something made me stop and the straight ahead vehicle continued over the sideroad to the kerb to pickup a person standing there. I then asked a cop who was at fault,as the driver had indcated to the left.and although he said it was a grey area the turning vehicle is at fault.I think it should be the indcating vehicle should be at fault.hes signalled his intention.Sorry about your car who were you insured with?