Sign in to follow this  
Jordon

e30 320i m20 mods/upgrades

Hey,

i have just bought my self a 88 manual 320i have been driving it around for awile and all is good. now i wish to get a little more power/ throttle responce from the car but dont really know what to start off with so any help would be appriciated on what to first change/upgrade ie k&n filter performance plugs and leads(if so what plugs) and exhuast what diamerter it best for these motors.

so if any one can provide any info it would be appriciated.

panel K&N filter, new plugs don't hurt, check plug leads are within spec, extractors, and either a standard twin exhaust system from 325 with freeflow mufflers fitted or a single well-built system. For the exhaust, take note of the meeting proposed by Andrew at a performance exhaust shop... strongly suggest you see these fellas for PROPER information... remember the new noise laws about to come into effect!!

Will

Pull the motor out and put in something that can be tuned. they dont gane much for mods im afraid

use the search button, as this has been asked before.

saves wasting our time and yours...dont bother doing anything with 320.

Agree with Gus to a point, the 320 engine isnt known for its performance and you would be better off slotting something else such as a 325 engine in. Having said that though, since you have a 320 at the moment you should start with a K&N filter, a fresh set of plugs, maybe look at a larger throttle body as well from a 325 (that way when you put your 325 in you will have a spare!!) I would do anymore than that though, instead you could spend your money on the handling which will give excellent results.

A new motor is on the cards for later when i have some more money to play with (im only 18) but now i just want to stick with the m20 as it has very low kms and runs so mint. I have a set of 325i struts that are going in the car soon also have some desent springs and a nice front strut brace that will go on in due corse

A 325 m20 motor is not that expensive, you will definitely get one for under $900 in good condition. Darren (SRBMW) is worth contacting for one as he always seems to have bits hanging around at a reasonable price, (not a ripoff artist).

But any of the bolt-on bits like K&N, exhaust etc that you do for the 320 will give you some small improvement and will fit the 325 m20 motor when you do the transplant. You would likely do these minor mods to the 325 anyway so you won't be wasting your money on something you can't use later...

Even a bog standard twin exhaust system off a 325 will be better than the factory single 320 system. Headers will cost a bit but definitely will improve even a 320 somewhat because the cast iron manifold is so inefficient. (and will bolt directly to the 325 motor).

But definitely the best bang for buck (and an easy job) will be a 325 m20 transplant. You will be suprised at the difference in go between the 2.0 and 2.5 motors. (you will prob have to a diff swap to get a better ratio though, most 2.0 run around a 4.1 ratio which is a bit short for a 325 unless you want huge pulloff power..)

Your choice...

Will

Sweet az. yea i have driven my mates 325i that he resently did a manual conversion on and it has so much more go than mine does. ill get in touch with Darren some time soon and see if i can get some go fast goodies from him. i bought the 320i becasue it was in mint condition so i am planing to turn it into a real sleeper and show thoes japas why they should be left in japan.

i bought the 320i becasue it was in mint condition so i am planing to turn it into a real sleeper and show thoes japas why they should be left in japan.

You've been taught well young grasshopper.