Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

New BMW owner

Hi guys.

I traded my Honda Accord for a 328i and petrol went up by 6c a L :blink:

Done 74K kms and fresh from Japan. Has a very anal previous owner who serviced it every 5K kms with a log book to prove :D

Gonna get an AVS alarm fitted tomorrow and then I'll be on the hunt for some nicer mags and sticky tires. Anyone want to let their set of 16" or 17" go?

Angeleyes will go in soon followed by CAI and maybe a remus exhaust.

Pics to follow.

Cheers.

Great choice of upgrade !

Of course with every new car thread we do expect pics though!!!

Welcome to bimmersport btw

Of course with every new car thread we do expect pics though!!!

WORD. Pics would be awesome!

Welcome, remember to play nice :D

Welcome to bimmersport, enjoy your stay. Always good seeing new faces at next bimmersport meet.

make it a priority to get rid of the jap plate holder as soon as you can.

Cheers

Andy

Another Honda owner sees the light... :lol:

Welcome, nice choice.. manual/auto?

Will

Thanks for the welcome.

As much as I'd like a manual car, the Mrs will also drive it and hence I had to get an Auto. :)

The only reason I'm a converted Honda owner is because my tiptronic shat on me :(

I didn't think Honda had a tiptronic? Its a Porsche tm.

Tiptronic® is a registered trademark, and it is owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who licenses it for use by others such as Volkswagen and Audi.

Other manufacturers use Tiptronic-like systems under different names:

* Acura: SportShift

* Audi: Tiptronic

* BMW: Steptronic

* Ford (Australia): Sequential Sports Shift

* Hyundai: Shiftronic, H-Matic

* Infiniti: Manual Shift Mode

* Jaguar: Bosch® Mechatronic

* Lexus: E-Shift

* Mazda: Sport AT

* Mercedes-Benz: TouchShift

* Mitsubishi: Sportronic

* Vauxhall/Opel: Easytronic

* Peugeot: 2Tronic

* Pontiac: TAPshift

* Saab : Sentronic

* Smart : Softip

* Volvo: Geartronic.

LOL- Just being a smartarse!! ignore me - everyone else does!

Edited by Jazzbass

^ :P

Hey do you know of any aftermarket gearknobs that look slightly better than the L shaped BMW gearknob?

I've been hooning :o

managed to run away from work early today and decided to hoon around some of the quieter roads near Hamz. I guess I'm not comparing apples with apples but the BMW eats my Accord.

There's not much of power after 5500rpm but there's no need to go there. My Accord use to redline at 7500rpm and be rev-limited at 8000rpm. But there was bugger all torque till about 4000rpm.

I love cruising at 100km/h with the engine just over 2000rpm. No more downshifting to 2nd to overtake. Just put your foot down. I do miss the Vtec induction noise and the mad torque steer tho.

My CD changer doesn't work but I'm probably going to rip out the entire system and replace with a set of 3ways in front and a 10" sub.

So the current mods planned are:

1) Angeleyes

2) CAI & Exhaust

3) Sounds

4) Mags and tyres.

5) Suspension - its current dynamic status is actually very very very good. hardly any bumps can be felt yet fantastic road-holding.

Its too bad we can't legally install HID kits cos despite having very good driving lights, I reckon that HID lights are amazing for night driving especially in NZ. I guess I'll be saving for my E90 then :D

I've been hooning :o

managed to run away from work early today and decided to hoon around some of the quieter roads near Hamz. I guess I'm not comparing apples with apples but the BMW eats my Accord.

There's not much of power after 5500rpm but there's no need to go there. My Accord use to redline at 7500rpm and be rev-limited at 8000rpm. But there was bugger all torque till about 4000rpm.

I love cruising at 100km/h with the engine just over 2000rpm. No more downshifting to 2nd to overtake. Just put your foot down. I do miss the Vtec induction noise and the mad torque steer tho.

My CD changer doesn't work but I'm probably going to rip out the entire system and replace with a set of 3ways in front and a 10" sub.

So the current mods planned are:

1) Angeleyes

2) CAI & Exhaust

3) Sounds

4) Mags and tyres.

5) Suspension - its current dynamic status is actually very very very good. hardly any bumps can be felt yet fantastic road-holding.

Its too bad we can't legally install HID kits cos despite having very good driving lights, I reckon that HID lights are amazing for night driving especially in NZ. I guess I'll be saving for my E90 then :D

somehwere a mad bavarian is laughing.....muhhhhhwwwwwaaaa someday vee will rule ze vorld.......

^ :P

Hey do you know of any aftermarket gearknobs that look slightly better than the L shaped BMW gearknob?

BMW themselves have some really nice one. But I heard changing from the "T" bar to the straight ones require the gear stick itself (include the kidden part where it actually connected to the gearbox cable) to be changed or modified.

Got a Dynatron with a transponder thingy instead of an AVS alarm.

Sucks that I can't use an aftermarket gearknob without too much hassle :banghead:

Got rid of the headunit and installed an Alpine CDA-9847. Looks pretty good without messing up the dashboard. Good deal from Madsoundz Hamilton. $444 installed; got them to match Parallel imported's price :D

Needs a sub and some amplifiers and then I'll be pumping ;)

Has anyone done an intake plenum swap using the intake plenum from the M50? Apparently gains of up to 220hp at the crank are acheivable with some loss of mid-range torque.

Any ideas?

:D

Managed to score some fantastic 18" BBS mags. They are at the panel beaters getting a decent workover as they are pretty badly curbed. Now i'm on the lookout for good 18" tires.

Pics as promised.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No exterior shots yet.. lemme get the mags sorted first :D

Nice car.

Seems it has the factory premium sound package installed (2 speakers on the door card + 1 in the kick panel). Some aftermarket 3-way splits will make the sound awesome.

Nice car.

Seems it has the factory premium sound package installed (2 speakers on the door card + 1 in the kick panel). Some aftermarket 3-way splits will make the sound awesome.

Yeah. sounds pretty good but I'd like more punch and clarity to the sound. I had a very good setup in the Accord and I want to get similar if not better performance (musically).

I'll not change the rear speakers but will amp the fronts (with a view to getting aftermarket MB QUART speakers) and getting a solid 10" or 12" sub.

Has anyone run 18" tyres on the E36? What has their wet driving been like? I'm thinking of either 225/40 or 235/40 for the rears. Are they too wide for wet driving? I imagine that the tyres will also make a difference so I'll probably get Toyos T1R or the Dunlop Direzzas D101 or the Goodyear F1 GSD3. Any thoughts?

After that, I'll get my Remus exhaust and angeleyes then save again for the H&R and Bilsteins :D

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The missus backed the car out of the garaged and clipped with left wing mirror against the fence. Paint has been stripped till the undercoat. Looks like it will require a repaint and filler for the large gouge marks.

:angry::angry::angry:

Payback better be good tonight. <_<

My 323i only had 205/55/16 fitted all round (I changed down from 225/50/16) because of a tyres special back then. (It's still within BMW spec)

Anyway, 235 is fairly wide. Are you sure it's not gonna rub with the 18s?

Anyway, 235 is fairly wide. Are you sure it's not gonna rub with the 18s?

As off today i put 235/40/18 on my 318 and they fit like a glove. There is a small amount of rub on full lock and if you hoon over judder bars but apart from that its pretty sweet

As off today i put 235/40/18 on my 318 and they fit like a glove. There is a small amount of rub on full lock and if you hoon over judder bars but apart from that its pretty sweet

Sweet.

What tires did ya get?

I'm looking at either the dunlop direzza DZ101, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx or the Toyo Proxes 4 and T1R.

Any tramlining?

Cheers

um neither. Ive got Roadstone N3000. I got them threw a mate real cheap for $220 a tyre :)

As for tramlining, you do get a bit but thats expected and you also notice how crap new zealand roads are. On the plus side they stick to the road like glue.