Sign in to follow this  
misgvous_1

service lights

hey guys wonderin if you can help

what does it mean when on the e30 service lights the far left green and orange and red lights all show at once

battery was flat went to jump it and lights turned on. car started, unplugged the jumper cables and the lights were still on

any advice will be much appreciated

cheers

jamie

Might be time to fit new batteries to the S.I. board. The old batteries probably aren't charging or holding their charge as well as they did when they were new, then when the main battery goes flat as well the S.I. and or gauges start to do strange things.

Just a point here, the owner's handbook says you should not disconnect the jumper cables without first putting on the headlights and the rear window demister (if I remember correctly). It states damage may occur to the electronics if this is not done.

But I agree with Graeme, your SI batteries are probably shot, so need replacing.

Will

Guest Andrew

On a side note - my SI board lights flash under 3000 RPM - they flash in time with the ignitor! .. something dodgy is going on.

ive jus got the car on the raod finaly and half my instrument cluster does not work.

how do i go about changing the bateries in my S.I board. Is it easy to do.

cheers

Jamie

Guest Ken

ive jus got the car on the raod finaly and half my instrument cluster does not work.

how do i go about changing the bateries in my S.I board. Is it easy to do.

cheers

Jamie

Try these sites:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticl...d_batteries.htm

I did a mod a while back using a couple of rechargeable AAs + plastic holder (available from Dick Smith etc.), seemed to work ok.

Cheers

Ken.

Guest Ken

Badass avatar Ken, and welcome to the site!

Cheers! The avatar is an old one but a good one - especially for people like me who "live" inside computer software!!!

This site is an absolute wealth of information and amusement.

Regards

K.

Edited by Ken

Jaycar sell AA sized NICADs or NIMH batteries with the right solder tags on them to solder direct to the board

Easy repair

While we are on the topic, my "inspection" light comes on when the car is started then turns off a few seconds later. Is that normal, or is it time for a service?

Cheers.

time for an inspection 1 or inspection 2 whatever wasnt done last time.If the inspection light comes on in conjuction with a little clock it may be indicating the annual inspection.