Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

Welded or LSD

Cause e30 Limited slip's are so hard to find and when you do you have to morgage your house to buy one what doe's everyone rekon?

f**k it and welded it up or save and get a Lsd....

i have mine welded, $100. i wont say where in sydney because i thought their customer service was shyte and they dont deserve free advertising. its for a track car only but still yet to get it onto the track. im looking to try to fit a hydrotrack centre into my spare diff. for everyday street car i wouldnt recomend weld up or mini spool. too harsh on all components.

Do not weld it up if its for a street car unless your a muppet. Am im suspecting it is for a street car as it dosnt sound like you are the kind of person to have a race car. :blink:

Do not weld it up if its for a street car unless your a muppet. Am im suspecting it is for a street car as it dosnt sound like you are the kind of person to have a race car. :blink:

Haha :D what do you have to sound like to own a race car????

I've got a 96 wrx for my rally car in which I lead my local club in the point's table avgas forge's 18psi.

The E30 is deffinatly my favorite car and yes it is my dailydriver but since putting this m50 in it's just become a one wheel wonder. I used to have a RB30 turbo VL commodore which I welded the diff up on. As you said harsh on componant's but componant's can be replaced. Driiven correctly way more fun than a open Diff.

What's everyone's thoughts..... Street Car or Race Car I rekon two wheels is better than one :ph34r:

Edited by MrHamWallet

In race cars it depends on driving style [or rules] ,I remember in the early 90's when Lotus F1 were using open diffs ,they also had traction control and very stiff front roll couple [monoshock front with zero body roll] the theory is to design traction into the package [not use a diff to recover lost traction]

Now, I'm a V8 driver so I love the 'kidney punch' off the corners when the car hooks up so I cannot promote using a locked rear-end enough [as long as the suspension package is compatible] remember If your car is going to understeer,a locked rear makes it worse [dial the car's suspension in first]

On the street? If you paid approx $1000 for a slipper that would be cheap compared to the mods required to make your suspension more compatible [remembera street car is an 'All Rounder']Who wants to change the diff everytime you need a WOF?

attached is a pic of my old vintage racer "the Mistress"[sitting in my driveway]

post-1015-1153517391_thumb.jpg

In race cars it depends on driving style [or rules] ,I remember in the early 90's when Lotus F1 were using open diffs ,they also had traction control and very stiff front roll couple [monoshock front with zero body roll] the theory is to design traction into the package [not use a diff to recover lost traction]

Now, I'm a V8 driver so I love the 'kidney punch' off the corners when the car hooks up so I cannot promote using a locked rear-end enough [as long as the suspension package is compatible] remember If your car is going to understeer,a locked rear makes it worse [dial the car's suspension in first]

On the street? If you paid approx $1000 for a slipper that would be cheap compared to the mods required to make your suspension more compatible [remembera street car is an 'All Rounder']Who wants to change the diff everytime you need a WOF?

attached is a pic of my old vintage racer "the Mistress"[sitting in my driveway]

Wholey sh*t that's a tough vette.

Yeah I agree with you kerrynzl your a very knowledgable person you make some very good points. I'm gonna do what andrew said. "look into some Lsd options"

Yeah the wife left me because of 'the mistress'.[ I missed my wife,but with a little practice my aim should improve,Haha]

She's pretty staunch . 7700cc of lazy hp [612hp & 659ft/lb's of torque] When I last had her out on a date [Tar Hill rd in the Tokoroa forest] We done a hill climb, It just Ate the hill like nothing "145mph at the Top" on a loggong truck rd with a passenger

GOOD FUN!!!

Wicked. f**kin wicked!!!

Have you got any more toy's??

My only other toy right now is the E36 coupe,I want to Race it ,But my new girlfriend wants to use it.I'll wait until the novelty wears off [the girlfriend for me,or the car for her]

I'm presently chasing down a 1986 white 635 coupe thats begging me to put a rollcage in her.It'll make a good replica of the schnitzer 635's with the bmw parts 'paint job'.

2 years ago my racecar hobby was a little more than a mild obsession. I owned [all at the same time] ,The Corvette, a Mk1 Lotus Cortina, a Mk2 Hatchback Capri, a Gen 3 IROC Camaro,[all Race cars] when I added a Gen 4 SCCA Camaro to my collection my [ex]wife got a tad upset [they never understand do they?] so I had to do a bit of a garage sale. Take some advice from me : IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A SMALL FORTUNE FROM RACING, START WITH A LARGE ONE!

Haha :D what do you have to sound like to own a race car????

I've got a 96 wrx for my rally car in which I lead my local club in the point's table avgas forge's 18psi.

The E30 is deffinatly my favorite car and yes it is my dailydriver but since putting this m50 in it's just become a one wheel wonder. I used to have a RB30 turbo VL commodore which I welded the diff up on. As you said harsh on componant's but componant's can be replaced. Driiven correctly way more fun than a open Diff.

What's everyone's thoughts..... Street Car or Race Car I rekon two wheels is better than one :ph34r:

Sorry there, I was in a bad state of mind. :wacko: I dont intend to make myself look like an idiot, it just seams to happen somtimes.... :blush:

I was just thinking if you weld it up its just going to wear your tyres out quick as. That and i very wrongly assumed that you must have been a young burn out drag racer. Again i hope i didnt make my self look like too much of an idiot :(

Don't worry mate, We are all idiots playing with cars ,Haha!

When I was 17 I had an oportunity to stick a needle in my arm!

I'd be dead now and I would've spend a shitload less money [than racing & cars]

im a muppet and welded my diff cause i have one wheel sliding and burnouts. i had brand new tires on the back and they get eaten. i know a guy that paid $2000 for a LSD what an idiot. and arnt they quite a low byass? so then you have to pull it apart and make it gruntyer (good spelling) if i had the cash i'd love to have a LSD cause my halfsharfts are not liking it. But for the mean time ill just get my dodgy warrents and have the diff in till i learn my lesson. but whats the lesson to be learnt it drives just the same just when doing slow turns it starts to be a dirty H*RE. and of course its free to weld ya diff.

it's always funny....i sold mine for $650 a while back....it was well advertised on here and trademe....yet no one actually buys it when it comes available.

but yeah..having one is good, e30s kinda need them, unless you got super sticky rubber and big too

Just bought myself a e28 Lsd. I read that you can swap the back cover and output flange's with my e30 diff's one's and it bolt's straight in. meduim case s,3,07VO79 Should go well with the new found power of my 2.5 m50

I can't speak for BMW's , but most rear ends you can usually swap the carrier [as long as the crown and pinion stay with the housing it came with]

Just bought myself a e28 Lsd. I read that you can swap the back cover and output flange's with my e30 diff's one's and it bolt's straight in. meduim case s,3,07VO79 Should go well with the new found power of my 2.5 m50

I hope you're running a E36 box (1:1 5th) with that 3.07, otherwise it will have some loooooooong legs!!

You might want to thing about swapping the LSD Centre into your diff.

I hadn't heard of any 3.07 medium cases (only large cases)!?!?!

If it is a medium, you need to swap the rear cover and the 2 output shafts with those from a E30 medium case diff.

NAh I'm running my original e30 gearbox. I've read on other forums that this ratio is good for my swap. The diff I've got is a 3.64 so I wouldn't have thought thered be that much of a change

3.64 Ratio with a E30 gearbox 0.82 fifth gear= 2.98: 1 in fifth [My 328 has a 1:1 fifth with a 2.93:1 diff]

You've got it spot on [either thru Tin-arsed Luck or Good Planning Haha!]

Well done! It'll be a lot of fun when you get it hooking up off the corners

Cheers Kerry

3.64 fine for 325i....3.91 is apparently the one to have for stock engines but i can imagine it being a little short...all my 325i's have had 3.64

3.64 fine for 325i....3.91 is apparently the one to have for stock engines but i can imagine it being a little short...all my 325i's have had 3.64

I was comparing it with my E36 328 [which is a shitload heavier] for drag racing I'd go lower. For a street application the only handicap would be off the line [nothing 7000rpm and side stepping the clutch wouldn't fix] otherwise cruizin in fifth would be great on the highway

agreed, 3.91 is a bit too short for E30 325s. Does make them pretty quick tho, even hacked together POS with motronic + l-jet ECUs.

3.64 Ratio with a E30 gearbox 0.82 fifth gear= 2.98: 1 in fifth [My 328 has a 1:1 fifth with a 2.93:1 diff]

You've got it spot on [either thru Tin-arsed Luck or Good Planning Haha!]

Well done! It'll be a lot of fun when you get it hooking up off the corners

Cheers Kerry

Exactly, if he puts the 3.07 it will be a slug (3.07x0.82=2.51).

I'd be swapping the LSD centre into your 3.64 diff.

SRBMW had a place that does it for a good price.

NAh I'm running my original e30 gearbox. I've read on other forums that this ratio is good for my swap. The diff I've got is a 3.64 so I wouldn't have thought thered be that much of a change

Hahaha -_- Tin Arsed Luck it is!!! So you guys rekon I should put the centre from this e28 Lsd into my e30 320i factory diff or just change the flange's and back cover and put the whole thing in?

3.07 with an overdrive fifth would be WAYYYY to tall, probably get 40mpg though! Go the 3.64, as others have suggested. Keep the output flanges off the E28 diff, I'll buy them off you.