Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Dash help please!!!

Hey,just bought a new 85 323i and its all good apart from a few small things.If any1 could help me with any of the following it would be MUCH apreciated.

1.)The "CHECK" light keeps flashing,ive been told this comes on wen u need a service and it should be reset afterwars...I had it serviced but the dude neva reset it,nothing wrong just annoys me!!

2.)The fuel gauge dont work,any 1 know a way to DIY it or will i have to get a sparky.?

3.)Speedo/Fuel gauge side(left) of th dash lights dont work.Checked all fuses everything is sweet.Again DIY job or sparky.

4.)Also the accelerator pedal is real stiff,dunno wats going on there.

Cheers,Ashkan

Edited by blackbma

Hey,just bought a new 85 323i and its all good apart from a few small things.If any1 could help me with any of the following it would be MUCH apreciated.

1.)The "CHECK" light keeps flashing,ive been told this comes on wen u need a service and it should be reset afterwars...I had it serviced but the dude neva reset it,nothing wrong just annoys me!!

2.)The fuel gauge dont work,any 1 know a way to DIY it or will i have to get a sparky.?

3.)Speedo/Fuel gauge side(left) of th dash lights dont work.Checked all fuses everything is sweet.Again DIY job or sparky.

4.)Also the accelerator pedal is real stiff,dunno wats going on there.

Cheers,Ashkan

im not an e30 owner but from the e28 i can tell you:

1. you must have a check control panel somewhere push the check light on this... it will always light up when you start your car

3. have you checked the bulbs?

4. its an e30. unless you sh*t yourself from pushing too hard the pedal its not too stiff

1.)It's got a little panel of lights tht are like on th roof by the rear view mirror if thts wat u mean.

3.) Not familair AT ALL with anything on th beema aye so dont wanna butcher anything but ill try 2morow after SCHOOL lol

4.) yeh haha hardout guess it cant be too hard

Shot bro

whilst on this topic of dash lights can someone chuck up a pic or a link to the sheet on how to reset the e30 service lights please.

how easy is it to check the fuel light bulb?

whilst on this topic of dash lights can someone chuck up a pic or a link to the sheet on how to reset the e30 service lights please.

how easy is it to check the fuel light bulb?

For Ollie:

http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/data...&Section=02

and the check light in the dashboard means that one of the lights up in the roof is on. Its telling you that a taillight is out, engine oil is low etc. Could be an electrical fault, or something might need a top up.

Dashboard lights are easy enough to replace, bit tricky figuring out how to get the instrument cluster unless you have a how-to or workshop manual.

2. Fuel gauge: In e36, the wire for the sensor can come off inside the fuel tank OR sensor itself get damaged when people constantly trying to top up the fuel tank after the fuel gun has clicked. Not sure if this could be similar in your case though.

You can loosen the spring on the throttle linkage on top of the inlet manifold by 1/2 a turn or more which will make the accelerator easier to press. Just not too much or it won't spring back when you take your foot off.

It's a good idea to do as it puts less strain on your cbles and linkages.

I've done it on both my e30's and on a mates.

Cheers all,Good to know theres people tht really know there stuff bout beemas...Honestly didnt think there wood be lol :)

The Check light is flashing cos th motor/pump for th window washer fluid is rooted and the wiper fluif light on the roof is on..spose thts tht problem fixed.

Still wouldnt have a clue wats wrong with th fuel gaugge.it works sumtimes but hardly ever..if i put like 50$ gas in it works then stops after a bit.

Yeh loosend the accel cable its still hard but ill get used to it

Cheers

Cheers all,Good to know theres people tht really know there stuff bout beemas...Honestly didnt think there wood be lol :)

The Check light is flashing cos th motor/pump for th window washer fluid is rooted and the wiper fluif light on the roof is on..spose thts tht problem fixed.

Still wouldnt have a clue wats wrong with th fuel gaugge.it works sumtimes but hardly ever..if i put like 50$ gas in it works then stops after a bit.

Yeh loosend the accel cable its still hard but ill get used to it

Cheers

To check fuel gauge:

Under the back seat is an access plate, lift seat - unscrew plate for access to the fuel sender. 3 wires in the plug on the sender from memory - brown is earth, one wire for gauge & one wire for low fuel light -cant remember what colours they are.

When the gauge is NOT working test by: - disconnect plug, turn ign on, bridge one of the other 2 wires at a time to the earth wire ( with a split pin or similar)- one should bring the low fuel light on, the other should make the gauge go up to full.

If it does the sender is faulty, if it doesn't it is a wiring or gauge issue - more likely gauge.

If sender ok , then to prove gauge fault you need to remove dash cluster & try earthing the same wire you were checking at the sender at the back of the dash - if no go there then is a dash fault.

From memory the only wiring harness plug between gauge & sender is drivers side rear under seat.

If you find either required, I can supply replacements, listed on trademe 64271907 -dash or 64404806 -sender

Hope this helps

Cheers Grant

Cheers man! gonna have a look at it 2morow.My dad seems to think there is a BIG shortage in the wiring all together because alot of th fuses seem to blow alot.Im not too sure wat that means but im going to take it to a sparky to have a look anyway

That helped a lot man ill have a look tomorow

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but the symptoms you describe are typical of the board inside the gauge cluster being damaged. Often caused by the batteries that power the SI board leaking and corroding the tracks.

To save yourself a lot of hassle, can't you track down a complete working dash gauge cluster and swap that first before going to the effort of checking all the wiring and senders.?? I am confident it is the cluster itself, but get those problems of fuses blowing fixed first so that you don't blow everything again...

Will

Ohh yeh man that sucks but yeh i might do that.BTW I opened up the fuel sensor thing and had a fiddle,Still not working at all so yeh might take it to my dads brother in law to see what he reckons(hes a engineer) but yeh if any1 got a working cluster they wanna sell gimme a pm,Cheers

I do but you will have to swap over your bulbs from your old one, as most of mine have been used elsewhere. It has a clock instead of a rev gauge (totally badass :D) so you'll need to swap that if you wanna keep it. I was told they're just pods that you can swap over without too much hassle.

Looking for $65 and got heaps of other E30 bits if you need them.

Cheers mate ill keep tht in mind i just wanna get it lookd at first.Ur e30 wouldnt happen to be black would it by chance lol?