Sign in to follow this  
Miller

e36 323i Manual Conversion

Hi, i have an e36 323i and am wanting to do a manual conversion. I was woundering how hard it is exactly. I have a fairly good knowledge about cars and was woundering if it is possible to do it myself or weither i would have to get a professional to do it. Thanks

never done one but im sure it wouldnt be too hard.

where do you live? more then likely there is someone that lives near you that would help.

Try www.forums.bimmerforums.com, I'm sure you'll find lots of information there as many people have done it.

I'm Doing One Right Now!

My Swap is including a M50 to M52 engine swap ,2.8 twin exhausts,Headers,Diff , Engine loom, Twin pumps.

I' m doing my swap in the driveway [garage is too full of racecar & parts]

You'll need a trolley jack ,Good Jack Stands,Go and buy some TORX Sockets [& Bits] If you are competent enough to pull an engine, you should be able to tackle a conversion. The hardest part for me was removing the Auto , So I sold it to a friend who is pulling it out for me [still waiting for my car to come back]

On Bimmerforums They have a Thread [22 pages]Dedicated to E36 Manual Conversions, The Yanks are Wankers,18 of those pages are about wiring the "starter inhibiter" so the cruise contol still works, And wiring the Reverse lights.

I know where there is an E36 Manual Conversion Right now if you are stuck for one,[Don't try and Hybrid one out of another model BMW, unless its a "Group A" Dog-Box]

If you wan't any help contact me via email [ kmathers@xtra.co.nz ] & I'll pass on my phone number to you!

The Guys Here at Bimmersport have been great help [& Fun] most problems I've occured have been answered on this site or by phoning a member of this forum.

Remember SYNCROSMASH is the only way to go........Kerry

Attached is a pic of my coupe [that is begging for me to fit a Rollcage]

post-1015-1154329329_thumb.jpg

Hi, thanks thats really usefull. I might just give u an email if i get stuck. lol. Could you please send me a link to the thread about the conversion. Thanks

Do you have any parts yet?

I have some lists that might be usefull.

Waiting for my driveshaft to be finished then I can bolt it all back together.

Conversion is very similar to the e30.Nothing too difficult(except access)

Hi. Does anyone out there have a gearbox or full conversion kit for sale. Or just bits maybe? I am looking for one with fairly low km's and in good condition. Thanks

Hi. Does anyone out there have a gearbox or full conversion kit for sale. Or just bits maybe? I am looking for one with fairly low km's and in good condition. Thanks

I sent you an email with a contact phone number of a guy with a complete conversion for sale on tues 1/8/06 . I was talking to Simon today, he said nobody has called him to date [you obviously can't be too interested!]

It was just that i was woundering if it had a few too many km's and weither or not to hold out and get a vanos one to make the conversion easier. Thanks

There wont be any difference vanos or not.

Dont look a gift horse in the mouth,buy the bloody thing before someone else does.

It was just that i was woundering if it had a few too many km's and weither or not to hold out and get a vanos one to make the conversion easier. Thanks

There are a few electrical issues,[starter inhibiter, reverse lights, cruize control & fast idle]

Hey I'm a Carb & Points Man, thats just getting into EFI etc & I've figured it out. If this conversion is too risky for you, sell your car & buy a manual [if you decide to go ahead with it, I'm only an email & phone call away if you need help]

Regards Kerry