Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

E28 large 210 diff into E30??

Just picked up that e28 528i LSD that I found on trademe. He advertised it as meadium case 3,07. But after closer inspection it looks like a large case 210 diff. Can I still swap this into my e30?. The e30 was a 320i so I think my diff is a little one. Not sure as was dark when I got back so will have a look tommorow.

Thanks

i thought only the 540 and m5 and the like used the large case,praps it is medium and you have the small?

i thought only the 540 and m5 and the like used the large case,praps it is medium and you have the small?

Yeah that's what I thought as well but have being looking at picture's of bmw diff's on the diff PDF that's stickyed in this section and it's the one I've got looks idetical to a large case. It has a finned back cover on it...........

If you put a diff out of another model (ie e28) and it is a medium case you will have to change the sideshaft flanges and the rear casing to fit the E30. That one you bought should be medium case..

Will

If you put a diff out of another model (ie e28) and it is a medium case you will have to change the sideshaft flanges and the rear casing to fit the E30. That one you bought should be medium case..

Will

Sweet yeah climbed underneath today and had a look, it is a medium case. Good news...

Easy way to tell.

The 210 will have 8 bolts for the side bearing seals (6 for the 188 & 4 for the 168) and the oil drain is on the left (not the back like a 188).

The E28 535i came with a 210 and 188, bolt bolt into the E30 subframe, the E30 however needs some mods to fit & mount 210.

Easy way to tell.

The 210 will have 8 bolts for the side bearing seals (6 for the 188 & 4 for the 168) and the oil drain is on the left (not the back like a 188).

The E28 535i came with a 210 and 188, bolt bolt into the E30 subframe, the E30 however needs some mods to fit & mount 210.

Sweet dude you know your sh*t...

Had a look and the diff has 8 bolt's so it is a Large case. sh*t.... So what were these mods you were talking about so I can mount it in my e30 or should I flag it and sell it and keep looking for a e30 Lsd?

Thanks in advance

I'd flag it, unless you plan on having to handle 1000nm any time soon.

You need to cut the brace out of the boot floor that the stock diff hangs off, cut the rear mount off the diff, make new bolt-on style side mounts for the diff and off the chassis.

Then I don't think you can use the 188 small dia flanges in the 210 so you'll need new axles etc... (unless you find a Mcoupe backend as the inner CV will match).

Then you stuck with shitty ratio's from the luxo-barges.

My $0.02

I'd flag it, unless you plan on having to handle 1000nm any time soon.

You need to cut the brace out of the boot floor that the stock diff hangs off, cut the rear mount off the diff, make new bolt-on style side mounts for the diff and off the chassis.

Then I don't think you can use the 188 small dia flanges in the 210 so you'll need new axles etc... (unless you find a Mcoupe backend as the inner CV will match).

Then you stuck with shitty ratio's from the luxo-barges.

My $0.02

Mate Thanks very much..... Your wisdom and knowledge is most usefull. Well look's like I'll be selling it and waiting for a e30 one to pop up can't really be f**ked going to all that hassle for a road car. God damit I want to do proper skid's!!!!!