Sign in to follow this  
lordandrevv

is my E34 trying to tell me something?

hey,

my 525i (92, 145k, m50) is doing something strange:

when it idles, the rpm seems to rise and drop. sometime its hardly there, sometime it oscilates between 500 and 1000 rpm, about once/second. This happens after a bit of open road in sports mode (not redline gear changes...but a bit more revs that you would get to in town). if you give it a bit of throttle it runs smoothly like it should. Anyone know what this might mean/be caused by?

Cheers for any help

Andrei

Don't think my idle is set to low, as it doesn't do it all the time, never when driving in town.

if i was to get anything older than what i have, it would have to be old 635 :-)

yes time for a tune up,and or its normal,my 535 does this when i first start up esp if its cold.Its worse when its due for a service.Otherwise,its a vacumn leak, or idle control valve

hey

sorry i havnt posted for a while, bu here's the story so far:

one evening i was reading the previous post about the tune-up, and the second morning the time for inspection light came on lol. Althought it hasn't done the idle thing since, i will be taking it in for a service shortly.

I sort know the main dealer/owner(?) at Automobili in Christchurch, and my dad was pretty close to buying a car from him. I admire the guy very much and asked him who he recomends for such a job, and he said Kevin Burt on st asaph. I got home and looked up the yellowpages.co.nz for bmw service people and i found him and another two. I'll give them a call on monday and see what happens.

Cheers for all your help so far guys

Andrei