Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

wheel alignment

i am just in the process of replacing my steering rack on my e36 and after that ill need an alignment. in auckland. at team mcmillan they charge $180 + gst and beau repairs is $60. i think 180 is a bit much and 60 will get me a piss poor job. where do u guys recommend i go?

i've been reading around the forum and only found Tyreworx in NewLynn recommended. anyone else got any other suggestions/prices?

i do all of the work on the car myself but this is something that is out of my reach, its hard to trust anyone else.

Firestone charged me $50 in Hamilton, they didn’t get it right first time so I took it back and got it perfect. They have a customer satisfactory thing where they have to do it to a high standard other wise you can just take it back and it should'nt cost you anything. One thing I didn’t like though is them letting a young “tire fitter†take it for a test to make sure it was ok, me driving my car rough is ok someone else no. hope it helps some what. Ta

i am just in the process of replacing my steering rack on my e36 and after that ill need an alignment. in auckland. at team mcmillan they charge $180 + gst and beau repairs is $60. i think 180 is a bit much and 60 will get me a piss poor job. where do u guys recommend i go?

i've been reading around the forum and only found Tyreworx in NewLynn recommended. anyone else got any other suggestions/prices?

i do all of the work on the car myself but this is something that is out of my reach, its hard to trust anyone else.

Edited by BMRBOI

"Firestone charged me $50 in Hamilton, they didn’t get it right first time so I took it back and got it perfect. They have a customer satisfactory thing where they have to do it to a high standard other wise you can just take it back and it should'nt cost you anything. One thing I didn’t like though is them letting a young “tire fitter†take it for a test to make sure it was ok, me driving my car rough is ok someone else no. hope it helps some what. Ta"

I am interested in understanding your comment didn't get it right and how you knew they didn't get it right

Newmarket Tyre service on Calrton Gore Road.

One thing I didn’t like though is them letting a young “tire fitter†take it for a test to make sure it was ok, me driving my car rough is ok someone else no.

Pretty standard for them to road test cars before and after alignments. Helps them to know what the car is doing, how the steering wheel is etc.

Now, sorry to hi-jack the thread sort of but same original question but in Chch this time. Had bad experiences with the chain stores, would rather stick to the smaller independent shops. And my car is an a**hole to align so would rather have someone who isnt going to do a halfassed job.

Bring it up to Tyrepower Whangarei and they'lll do it for $40. They have bmw experience as well.

They'll do a good job

Go to one of those tyre shops that aren't chains but are still clean and tidy (ie take pride in their work). I take mine to a place up here that does all the usual tyres suspension brakes etc and also valets and detailing. The workshop is immaculate and the staff dressed tidily. They charge around $60 for an alignment and you get the printout afterwards so you can see what your car is doing.

Bloody e30's I've never seen one without toe-in on the rear and its not adjustable.

Centrelign in new market i think it is. Been recommended before.

which one? do they both give printouts?

thanks for all the replies everyone!!!

Well after the wheel alignment was done it was still pulling to the left so I took my car back and they got it perfect.

Firestone charged me $50 in Hamilton, they didn’t get it right first time so I took it back and got it perfect. They have a customer satisfactory thing where they have to do it to a high standard other wise you can just take it back and it should'nt cost you anything. One thing I didn’t like though is them letting a young “tire fitter†take it for a test to make sure it was ok, me driving my car rough is ok someone else no. hope it helps some what. Ta

Firestone charged me $50 in Hamilton, they didn’t get it right first time so I took it back and got it perfect.

I had mine done at TopTown in Hamilton.

ok i rang these guys and its $69 but can't do it till next week because their guy is away. that tells me that they have one dude for wheel alignment and he'll do it properly. i'll go there and they do give out a printout.

thnx for everyones help...

Make sure they spec they pull up for the figures is as close to your actual car.Ie if you have a lowered 3 series the m3 settings may be more apprpriate than std 3 series....Hope you get what i mean

ok i rang these guys and its $69 but can't do it till next week because their guy is away. that tells me that they have one dude for wheel alignment and he'll do it properly. i'll go there and they do give out a printout.

Yeh, I've done a few there on all my family cars. They picked up a suspension problem that Firestone Direct couldn't. Explained uneven steering effort between left and right turns on my CRV.

i went to new market tyre but the guy that does it broke some bone and will be out of work for a couple of weeks. so i asked Barry where he recommends i go as i was referred to them. he told me to go see "Jeff in Quay Street, Frank Allen Tires" and to ask specifically for Jeff. I did and Jeff did a good job (he used to work for new market tire). The steering wheel is a little bit off but ill live with it, if he was a dick i would have gone back and complained but he was really cool and i had a good look under my car while up on the lift. Cost was the same, $69. and it didnt take long as apparently it wasnt much out of allignment.

oh and if your steering wheel is crooked while going straight they ARE ment to fix it.

anyway just wanted to say thnx for all your help and if ever in doubt go see Jeff.

i had my wheel alignment done at henderson tyres. crap job too.. 45 mins it took, didnt completely straighten my back tires (which was really unalligned) and the steering wheel was not straightened.. $55 bucks...

cant be bothered to go back as dont have the time to..

oh and the guy took my car for a "test drive" to see whether his job was all good.. after starting my engine i noticed that he has been trashing the sh*t out of my car.. my gas lit up and it was just below 15 L when i went in there <_<

Edited by Docile

We should start a thread of "bad hair days" we have encountered with service agents. It would be interesting to know where not to go and may result in an increased focus in service if service agents become aware that - bad service = no bimmersport customers

We should start a thread of "bad hair days" we have encountered with service agents. It would be interesting to know where not to go and may result in an increased focus in service if service agents become aware that - bad service = no bimmersport customers

i think everyone would just start diy'ing.

no bad hair days here because I only use suspension professionals that's why I suggested Tyreworx!!!!!! However due to the fact that it was too far for you clowns to drive or because of the fear of being molested by some trailer trash westy then you get what you pay for - CRAP ALIGNMENT, just because the wheel is off centre doesnt mean the alignment is not right my arse......It's a work ethic that shows that thay really don't give a sh*t or that near enough is good enough!!! The other solution is Dean and Gareth at magwarehouse.com-central at the top of New North Rd these guys that I have suggested are NOT some snot nosed 18 yr fcukwit that knows how to abuse your pride and joy, they are qualified suspension mechanics- kind of like BMW mechanics that get their apprenticeships working solely on BMWs these guys have spent years learning about suspension set-ups....a good example is the fact that my 97 motorsport is dumped on adjustable suspension it has 2 degrees of front camber, and close to 3.5 degrees on the rear but I have managed to get close to 40,000kms on the tyres and their still going with no pulling (or tram lining), no mushiness under excessive hard braking and the car handles like sh*t sticks to a blanket......but then good suspension+good tyres+good alignment will turn a great car into a brilliant one