Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Jack and Axle stand advice

Hi guys,

I'm looking a buying a trolley jack and axle stands but really I dont have a clue what I'm look for.

Brand wise I want to get something that will last me the mile but not be too over priced.

300 or so seems to be the average lift height, wish doesnt seem that much.. so what should I be looking for .. i was thinking 400-500 would be good.

In terms of axle stands whats good and bad ? is there a specific mechanism style I should stick to or stick away from ?

I've been down and looked at repco and supercheap's ones but the cheapest look half arsed like they're gonna break and decent looking ones (powerbuilt?).. well are bloody expensive - $300ish.

I have one of my brothers friends owns a franchise that deals in tools, but I'd like to get opinons on brands etc first. Want to be spending under $300 on the lot if I can help it .. but still get decent quality.

Cheers

Andy

i have a set from repco the jack and axle stands.they are perfectly fine and they get used every day.

the only problem is that the jack is too high, and cannot get it under some cars like my 735 or my mates crx.

which can be a real pain, i suppose thats what you get when you have lowerd cars.

the 300 axle stands can support the 735 without any drama of them straining.so it should be a problem for any other bmw.

try and go for a racing jack if you can.it is the next on my list in the way of equipment purchases

Edited by Cress

repco/supercheap jackstands both seem fine...they dont do a helluva lot just sit there.

i have a alloy trolley jack...its nice and light and easy to move around. asked for a discount at repco and got one. only complaints is it doesnt go that low or that high.

i also use andys big trolley jack which is nice...just impractical. best for lifting nice n high to drop engines out etc, but a pain in the ass to move around and just use in general

Guest Spargo

I wish we had places like harbourfreight in NZ, i saw an ultra low trolley jack, designed to get under low cars for somethign rediculous like 75US after rebate with a 3 year warranty. <_<

I got a 3 tonne jack and a couple of stands from supercheap about 6 months ago and they are still going strong, the jack cost me about $250 if I remember correctly and the stands about $50 for the pair. The jacks and stands have to meet the NZ/AUS standards to be sold here in NZ so quality can't be an issue although they are still DIY jacks and must be treated as such.

incase you havent seen it, some additional info for when you get your jack and stands

post-4-1154844731_thumb.jpg

Hey Andy,spend all your budget on a decent jack $300 can get a good Trolley Jack, I see the Lightrweight Alloy ones advertised in petrolhead mag for this all the time.If you give the abuse, get a steel jack [try supercheap] The best Brand lightweight jackstands to use are "pinus radiata" , I've got a mate who gets them from Tranzit New Zealand, they are open all hours [especially midnight]and cheap [free].seriously though, use wooden blocks if you can get decent ones,They don't damage the underside like the steel ones do! The WOF Nazis are jumping down on sh*t like bent sills etc.

Yeah, at the moment my axle stands consist of 2 bottlecaps with a few layers of plywood over the top, works liek magic. My brothers friend's family owns partmaster so I might see if they're able to point me in the direction of something good at a decent price.

I bought a Jonnesway 3 tonne trolley jack from BNT for less than $300 and a set of 3 tonne axle stands took the total to $300.

Great construction on the jack - very very well built and 400-500 lift height. Still can't get it under the car though - have to lift on the sill, block up and then up jack under diff/rear subfram etc.

Gus, that alloy jack in Andrews garage (powerbuilt I think). I didn't like it at all - have to reach down to the release valve and then "three lifts to chassis" thing that means it pumps up quickly means that the front of the jack lifts off the ground as you have to put so much more force on the lever.

It was very low though.

Andy - If you want some good wooden blocks I can give you some - have stacks of 4x4 for propping up boats.

Just looked in repco brochure to find they have on sale a Powerbuilt combo 3 tonne trolley jack and 3 tonne axle stands for $180, spanning I think 138mm-465mm.

This was significantly better htan the other crap they have on offer and was $110 off.

Downside is, its so f**king heavy, the deal doesnt open till tomorrow (bugger) but I went and had a look anyway, looks to be quality shiz. I enquired about a 2 tonne jack and it seems powerbuilt dont actually make 2 tonne jacks.

Should I bother with $180 (down from $290) 3 tonne axle stands / trolley jack ? or try and find something more economical / better suit the size of the car.

Guest Andrew

I'd go for the 3 tonne

Make sure you buy 4 axle stands.

It should be fine for what you want to use it for.

I can usually get the 3 tonne jack under my skirts (on the henna) without any issues - if it's too low just drive it on blocks on wood.