Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

Bond -like features

For the townhouse dweller who thought they had everything: BMW is set to launch a remote parking system that will pop a car into its parking space without direct driver control.

Aimed at urban types who have large cars (well, BMWs) and very little space in their garages, the prototype BMW Remote Park Assist allows drivers to stand beside their car while it parks itself in a dedicated space.

Vehicle guidance is controlled via the key fob. The car moves at 2.5km/h - about half walking speed - and as soon as button on the fob is released the car stops moving. Guidance is controlled via sensors and a special mirror mounted in the garage. The car is retrieved from its parking space in an exact reversal of the parking manoeuvre. Sensors detect obstructions and guide the car around them.

BMW says Remote Park Assist is ideal for restricted inner city parking spaces such as townhouse developments and apartment buildings. It also improves pedestrian and child safety, since the driver survives the manoeuvre from outside the car and the car's own parking radar can also detect obstacles.

The prototype system was revealed in Munich at the BMW Innovations Day last month.

The test car used to demonstrate this technology, a BMW 7-series, was equipped with a video camera fitted at the same level as the interior mirror to monitor the area in front of the car. This camera is similar to the units also used in other driver assistance systems such as lane departure warning.

A special reflector in the middle of the farside garage wall is covered by the camera in the approach process. The position and alignment of the car in front of the garage is then determined by evaluating the reflector image detected by the camera, an electric motor on the steering system correcting the steering when required as the car makes its way into the garage.

This control function is supplemented by the Park Distance Control (PDC) sensors determining the distance from possible obstacles. If necessary, therefore, the entire parking process can be interrupted in order to avoid collisions.

The system computer masterminds the automatic engine start/stop function, the choice of gears, the steering and PDC. It also activates the brakes, headlights, and hazard warning flashers, with the exterior mirrors being automatically folded in when parking and folded out again when the car leaves the garage.

i think bmw should bring out a raw as thrash mobile instead! like a no option, high powered, lightweight thrash about coupe.

i think bmw should bring out a raw as thrash mobile instead! like a no option, high powered, lightweight thrash about coupe.

E30 mkII FTW

I can see it now, Some drunken wanker runs himself over while parking his own car!

I still like the stuff on the new S-class...

anyone fancy a night vision camera?

Very fancy stuff on the S Class, the reversing assist is very useful for navigating out of tight spaces. The night vision camera is just plain badassness! I love it!

Though BMW are just really going to far with this techno shiz.

Edited by BMW POWER

Waste of time, Half the drivers here in Tauranga can't see in the Daytime.

I've got night vision on my car [they are called headlights, you have to turn them on though!]

I can see it now, Some drunken wanker runs himself over while parking his own car!

Lol my thought's exactly........ f**k I could see myself doing it after I'd turned the parking speed up cause I was impatient

Edited by MrHamWallet

Waste of time, Half the drivers here in Tauranga can't see in the Daytime.

I've got night vision on my car [they are called headlights, you have to turn them on though!]

ROFL!

Yes BMW's (prototype, Germancarfans webby?) is the same as the S-Class one, then.