Sign in to follow this  
MADBMA

dualmass flywheel VS single mass

ok, so here it goes, i just blew my clutch a few days ago, alot of smoke, quite a funny sight, but anyway i wasnt to worried thought hey cant cost that much to fix the clutch, ive done a clutch my self in one of my earlyer jappas, anyway i rang up hutt city europeans, they quoted me $300 + gst for the labour then said he would call me back with a price on a clutch kit, apparently a good deal, half an hour later he calls me back with $475+gst for the clutch, due to the dualmass flywheel, so thats about 800 bucks all up,

has anyone done the mod of sticking a single flywheel in there? such as this write up

http://www.blackforestindustries.com/m20flywheel.htm

ive been trying to find a cheaper way to do this clutch as i dont have 800 on me so will be driving around a mazda 626 till its fixed, :unsure: slow and embarissing to drive, anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

that instruction is for the e30 318iS m42....yours will be the m43?? i imagine the concept will be similar

off the top of my head you need:

m20 fly

m20 clutch (pp and disc)

e21 323i throwout bearing (it is taller)

the correct pinion for the starter to match the fly

m20 flywheel bolts

plus a spacer to move the m20 clutch out a little

would be a good mod..the m42 fly is huge! get the m20 one lightened too. ill prob do this to my m42 once it finds its way into a car

Edited by Gus

probly will be the M42 gus, the M43 was the replacement for the M40, ie is in the normal 318i

where does the m44 come in e36 318iS or z3?

can people PLEASE mention what type of car they have when posting problems...heaps of n00bs not doing this, makes things harder

Patch it! It's cheaper.

Surface grind the flywheel, surface grind the pressure plate, And buy a new clutch plate [or reline it, slightly thicker to take up whats been ground off the p/plate] Note dual mass clutches don't have springs in the clutch plate

its a m42 engine, thought you guys would of known your stuff :) i need to buy a hole new flywheel so grinding the one i have wont really be an option, its just that the fly wheels so god damn expensive and using a lighter one will be cheaper and some what help the preformance.

its a m42 engine, thought you guys would of known your stuff :)

How?

You dont even say what series/mode/year car you have ,and your profile isnt any help either.

Definately sort that dual mass thing out... The flywheels in these cars are pathetically heavy - all in the name of smooth idle I suppose...

, they quoted me $300 + gst for the labour then said he would call me back with a price on a clutch kit, apparently a good deal, half an hour later he calls me back with $475+gst for the clutch, due to the dualmass flywheel, so thats about 800 bucks all up,

f**k that's cheap man. Even if it's stock spec. I payed $855 for a "race spec" 2500lb press plate carbon kevlar double sprung clutch, Brand new machined lightweight single mass m20 flywheel, But I had to give them my orignal flywheel and clutch on an exchanged basis. And that price was pretty much cost from auto clutch NZ. Stock Bmw clutch's are expensive but they are very good quality.

Edited by MrHamWallet

if you were using an m20 fly i presume an m20 clutch....which are around $250 (LuK clutch from some place on archers road on the shore).

do you have pics of your race spec clutch? how come you went for it?

300 for labour seems ok...doing it yourself is not too difficult though

Patch it! It's cheaper.

Surface grind the flywheel, surface grind the pressure plate, And buy a new clutch plate [or reline it, slightly thicker to take up whats been ground off the p/plate] Note dual mass clutches don't have springs in the clutch plate

NO NO NO NO NO....dont surface grind anything.

You will be lucky to get it 'smooth' for a start, you will find it impossible to take off smoothly (as in pull away in first gear) and you will lucky to have it last 12 months.

[edit]

I recently helped a friend buy an e39 540i/6 that had had its flywheel machined after the previous owner cooked the clutch and was too cheap to fix it properly. We knew this before we bought it and got thousands off the asking price over it....the total cost to fix it up came close to 3k and it spent 2 weeks in the garage waiting for the parts.

[/edit]

Sure you can do it, but if you bodge it now it will do you ten times over later. Take it on the chin, save up the money and do it properly, you will not regret it.

Edited by martyyn

That's pretty cheap for a clutch. The 540iS is $1,098+GST for the clutch plate.

Getting the weight out of your clutch should make it rev a bit quicker though.

Good luck, let us know what you do.

Well booked in to Hutt City europeans to get the clutch repaired next wensday, $871.00 i rang around and yeah they seem to be the cheapest, if i had the tools i would do the clutch my self and maybe give that lighter flywheel a go, but as i dont have the tools and asking a mechanic that i havent met yet to give it a go aint going to work out in my favour, so in she goes, only one more to week till i can get back on to the road.

ive done a bit of research on this lighter M20 flywheel, the only down points i can find is that its alot noisey, and i think you lose your Air conditioning im not to sure on that one thoe. oneday, ill shove a lighter one in oneday, just not now :)

Edited by MADBMA

Try & Buy a LUK kit [Ring Kevin at ABC Auckland brake & clutch] you'll probably save enouugh money to but some tools!

Luk kit, clutch, presure plate, thrust bearing and centering tool $200 incl gst for e30 318 at European spares in Manukau.

Luk kit, clutch, presure plate, thrust bearing and centering tool $200 incl gst for e30 318 at European spares in Manukau.

CHEAP EH! Kevin at ABC on the shore is the NZ importer . If the E36 was the same money ,You could buy some reasonable tools with the difference

do you have pics of your race spec clutch? how come you went for it?

I'm pulling my motor and trans again to do some thing's that I forgot to do the first time (newbie) I'll take some photo's of it and the flywheel and post them up monday. I got it cause i asked for a clutch that I can do heaps of reliable skid's with while still having a reasonably nice pedal feel... Auto clutch NZ were very good the guy's their were keen to help and had some experence with bmw m20 clutch's.

Yeah ,I used them to build a clutch that holds the 659ft/lb's of Torque on my race car [good guys,they know their stuff]

LUK are perfect for a patch-up [repair] depends on useage/or budget