Sign in to follow this  
speedyg

Rear suspension trouble, bushes maybe?

Hi,

The car is a E30 325i.

The car has had this problem since I bought it.

When going over potholes, bumps, cats eyes etc the rear of the car feels like it kicks sideways (like it has been pushed from the side). Something feels a bit loose. The car wanders a bit too, especially when going over different road surfaces.

Also when the car is cold it is very easy the get the bunny hops when slowing down.

I've had the suspension checked by Chamberlain suspension and it came back as not needing anything doing, even after explaining what is happening.

It used to have motorsport suspension but now has the Bilstein streetline kit. The car has had a wheel alignment. The car did this before and after the suspension change and wheel alignment.

I am thinking along the lines of rear trailing arm bushes, subframe bushes, broken diff mount bushes etc.

Any ideas? Or has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Thanks in advance....

I Don't know your car at all.

But it sounds like the syptoms of a car that has been lowered TOO MUCH, Have You?

Semi Trailing arms have inherant faults that come out when they are not operating thru their normal range of movement

If this is the case, there are a few simple mods that can help the situation

Let me Know!

The car did this before and after the new suspension.

It is only about 20mm lower than the BMW motorsport suspension setup.

Sounds like rear trailing arm bushe's and subframe bushing's. My car had the exact same syptom's so I put ureathane adjustable camber & Toe Trainling arm bushe's and urethane subframe bushe's from jon@treehouseracing.com. $99 Usd for the subframe bushe's and $180 odd if I can remember for the trailing arm bushe's from BNT and whangarei.. My car has a very positive feel to it now rather than before when it felt a bit sloppy

Easy job to do yourself or do you need a press to get the bushes in or out?

Easy job to do yourself or do you need a press to get the bushes in or out?

I used a gear puller for the trailing arm ones, but you could rig up your own tool easy enough. Urethane ones slide straight in without needing a press. Subframe ones are the biggest PITA. I melted/burned the middle part out then slowly hack-sawed through the remaining part until it collapsed in. There is a proper tool to remove them though.