Sign in to follow this  
dingofour

1985 320i

I purchased a while back a 1985 320i 6 cylinder sedan and innitially had some trouble insuring it because it was one of the models which was privatelly imported into Australia. There was no log books etc but the speedo is in miles per hour with ks on the inside of the dial...the trip meter is in miles .I have not seen another 320i of this model anywhere else( but there may be)There is a lot of 318 model look alikes but not a 320i.My question is where do you think the car originated( they dont to seem to have the model in the USA and if it came from Europe why the speedo etc in miles per hour.Great car though......

Many thanks

Phil

Guest Spargo

Will be from england, their speedos are in mph with kmh inset in the speedo like you described.

My Dad's Baur has the same speedo configuration and is a uk import as indicated by Spargo.

rare - not unless there is some particular point of difference - (cabrio, aftermarket well-known BMW tuning company has highly modified it etc.)

My Dad's Baur has the same speedo configuration and is a uk import as indicated by Spargo.

rare - not unless there is some particular point of difference - (cabrio, aftermarket well-known BMW tuning company has highly modified it etc.)

Maybe not many were imported to Australia...though this I grant would be strange if it is one of the most popular BMWs in NZ..were they reguarded as a private import in NZ or were they bought in by dealers.......were they made with duel speedos so ready them for the American market or for what reason.....thanks for your replys.........

320i 's regardless of year (83-1991) are probably 1st or 2nd most common E30 in NZ.

Probably england / uk.

is this here the same cluster? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C.../p-22981933.htm

Looks same though mine has power windows and switches and tinting

Thanks

all of that can be pre-selected at the factory. I dont think yours is much different to any other 320i 85' .. just you had a speedo in miles.

all of that can be pre-selected at the factory. I dont think yours is much different to any other 320i 85' .. just you had a speedo in miles.

my 325i is a motronic 1.1 (as supposed to jettronic) manufactured in 1985 imploted to nz in 92 i think...

many sources say that motronic engines were put only to FL e30's... FL e30's have motrinc 1.3 ecu's.... that is 6 pot ones...

your might be aswell an ealry motroinc. see whether you have oxygen sensor.... if you dont then you are early ;)

Guest Andrew

my 325i is a motronic 1.1 (as supposed to jettronic) manufactured in 1985 imploted to nz in 92 i think...

many sources say that motronic engines were put only to FL e30's... FL e30's have motrinc 1.3 ecu's.... that is 6 pot ones...

your might be aswell an ealry motroinc. see whether you have oxygen sensor.... if you dont then you are early ;)

It's simple really.

All 325 (and varients) are Motronic.

Pre FL 320s are L-Jet. FL 320s are Motronic.

It's simple really.

All 325 (and varients) are Motronic.

Pre FL 320s are L-Jet. FL 320s are Motronic./quote]

Wish I new what that meant.....here is a problem I would like help with if possible ...I have irratic idle sometime drops out all together and stalls.....only happens when car is warmed up ie auto choke has done it's bit...my mechanic ex bmw has checked solenoid,thermal valve, checked for air leaks,,,ducting and hoses and could not find fault....problem still exists....I didnt have time for him to do any further test as I need the car..............any ideas..

Thanks......any ideas would be appreciated

This problem must pop up on this forum at least once a month im sure somebody will help.