Sign in to follow this  
ThreeOneEight

Parking

Yea there is a disclaimer in the roadcode saying that it is just a guide- but I cannot find anything in official stuff to say that a triangle is a hydrant, so right now the circle with FH is taking precedent! Really though, there should have been yellow lines. If they can take the effort to put a triangle in the middle of the road, they could easily put a few lines on the side of it.

If there are reflectors on the road ie on the white line in the centre you will find that in line with the triangle, yellow curb, orthe big yellow FH you will find a blue reflector which is what the fire service use as an identificaton marker!!!!! But i think you will be given the big yellow F/O and find that you may even have to pay court costs if you let it go that far....have you learnt from the experience???????

If there are reflectors on the road ie on the white line in the centre you will find that in line with the triangle, yellow curb, orthe big yellow FH you will find a blue reflector which is what the fire service use as an identificaton marker!!!!! But i think you will be given the big yellow F/O and find that you may even have to pay court costs if you let it go that far....have you learnt from the experience???????

Have taken photos of the area. No reflectors, just the faded triangle. The point is I did not know what a yellow triangle means, and there if there was nothing in the way of public information to tell me what it meant...I would have to rely on the word of others to know, as I am finding out now- and surely, the word of others is not considered official and binding in a court of law. I do not live in central Wellington (fortunately!), and am consequently used to fire hydrants being on grass verges, or at worst, footpaths. Inside a carparking area is to me a highly trivial place to put one. I do not care about the prospect of court costs, I would rather give the WCC some bad PR, plenty of contacts for getting it into the papers, and I'm prepared to fight it in the most dignified way possible.

I think the interesting thing here is that whatever happens, if you pay the ticket or you get off it doesn't matter the road marking situation will still stay the same and some other poor bugger is going to get a ticket.

Why should Will have to pay a $40 fine because of road marking stupidity, i'm sure the hydrant has been there for longer than the road marking and so when they painted the road why the hell did they make it look like a parking space!?

If anyone should be getting a ticket it's the contractor who painted the road and as for the warden or officer who gave Will the ticket they need a lesson in common sense and instead of ticketing Will they should have reported that there was a road marking issue - better use of their time i'd say.

..but no as usual they saw it as an opportunity to make a few bucks rather than an opportunity to rectify a problem and potentially save human lives by preventing a fire hydrant accessibility crisis when one day there is a fire!

I think the interesting thing here is that whatever happens, if you pay the ticket or you get off it doesn't matter the road marking situation will still stay the same and some other poor bugger is going to get a ticket.

Why should Will have to pay a $40 fine because of road marking stupidity, i'm sure the hydrant has been there for longer than the road marking and so when they painted the road why the hell did they make it look like a parking space!?

If anyone should be getting a ticket it's the contractor who painted the road and as for the warden or officer who gave Will the ticket they need a lesson in common sense and instead of ticketing Will they should have reported that there was a road marking issue - better use of their time i'd say.

..but no as usual they saw it as an opportunity to make a few bucks rather than an opportunity to rectify a problem and potentially save human lives by preventing a fire hydrant accessibility crisis when one day there is a fire!

Like I said, here is the pursuit of some revenue coming ahead of the safety of residents- someone mentioned before that the fire department would just break my window, take the handbrake off, and push my car forward- but the question remains, where? This is, remember, central Wellington, and there were cars parked in front of and behind me with very little room to spare, they are tight parallel parks. I have written to the local papers already to outline the issue and plan to contact the Fire Department as well- I can't imagine that they are enthused by the idea of a council cash cow potentially putting lives at risk! It takes only a few minutes for a house to go up in flames, as we are so often reminded.

Edited by ThreeOneEight

I think your letter was well constructed. The only addition I would have made would have been a set of 6x9 photographs, with circles and arrows and an explanation on the back of each one... ;)

All that said, I do agree that you're probably screwed on the fine. I know its not the money, its the principle for you, but for the council, its the money!!

As for that one with the parking nazi saying the time wasn't right acording to his watch - its one of those times when you have to draw a deep breath and just realise that impaling the thick bastard with the blunt end of a parking meter right up his jacksee is probably not going to achieve anything of value. You'll get arrested and he'll enjoy it, being the best sex he's had all year...

Parking wardens are not generally considered to have an IQ in double figures and there's bugger all any of us can do about that. Apparently running them over is frowned upon, too......

I think they should all have Denny Crane bullseye daks.....

Edited by Jazzbass

Ha - nice one Jazz, that's brightened up my morning.

Will - as far as the firebrigade moving yuopr vehicle - well considering they would have a great big Fire truck with flashing lights blocking the road, they would just ppush your car out into the road.

I still agree with you about the fine. It reminds me of a case that hit the papers in Dunedin.

A guy parked on the street in the same place as he always did for work every day. That afternoon after work he found a parking ticket for parking in a no-parking zone on his windscreen. Upon looking he found that indeed, there were yellow lines painted on the road next to the kerb. He then noticed splashes of yellow paint on his tyres - they had opainted the lines while his vehicle was parked there and an over zealous parking warden had then come along and ticketed him!!!

he got off IIRC.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

FWIW - since reading about this, I've been noticing fire thingiwhatsits around here and all the ones I've looked at are marked according to the Road Code description.

"You can get anythin' you want..." I admit that there have been times when it would have felt nice to have some implements of destruction in the back to assist in venting my frustration. Seriously these days there seems to be alot of people in positions of power or authority who appear to have missed some fundamental concepts along the way. Quite some time ago I saw a parallel parking space painted across a driveway, handy if its your driveway. Soon the city councils will have yellow triangles painted next to every parking space to maximise revenue, this type of scheme would not surprise me. I think I need to go talk to Obie on the side...

Rod